Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #61

Re: What is your set up for winter camping with a pop-top?

What I have had to do once before when it snowed a lot over night is to go up our ladder and stand precariously on the edge while pushing a ski (all I had) across the top to get all the snow off. Once I had completely wasted my time trying to get as much snow as I could off I lower it. We have the supports in the corners but was thinking of even supplementing those for the heavy snow falls since my kids are up there and it would freak me out having it come down. I try and bring a broom with now.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #62
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350

Scary thought and would cause me to lose sleep. I guess an electric PH would eliminate some of the concerns.

Mike
No it doesn't, I still freak out. I carry one of those extendable window washers that has a squeegee on one side but what a hassle in the middle of the night. The only way I get a good sleep is to lower and bunk below.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #63

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Actually a Chilly Dog system would help with that. It starts your van at specific temps inside, and would run periodically keeping the engine and the cabin (via the dashboard vents) warm.
Is there a link to this companies website? I tried to google "chilly dog auto system" and all I am getting is hotdogs and canines...

Thank you
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #64

It's something for K9 police units, maybe that will help you find something don't remember what the website was- I don't remember it being helpful.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
It's something for K9 police units, maybe that will help you find something don't remember what the website was- I don't remember it being helpful.
You can find the manual for it here, but it's listed as a "Legacy System" so it may not be available anymore. Didn't look around to see if there was a new equivalent.

http://k9safety.com/index_files/manuals.htm

Herb
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #66

We camp in the parking lot at the ski area most weekends and do not have a furnace. We have a Mr. Buddy heater that we hook up to a 5 gallon propane tank (sits outside the van) and have been really comfortable and had no problems. I use no insulation (I'm too lazy to put panels in the windows) other than a reflective window shade for the windshield and the curtains. We found that we are much more comfortable putting the top up (once again, no insullation upstairs) with the Mr. Buddy on LOW with two windows cracked about 25 % open and the wife and I sleeping in the lower bed with our german shepherd on the floor. With that configuration, we average about 50 degrees warmer than outside temp. We tried the top down, but woke up with it 9 degrees outside and 78 degrees inside. Freaking HOT!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWHNTR
We camp in the parking lot at the ski area most weekends and do not have a furnace. We have a Mr. Buddy heater that we hook up to a 5 gallon propane tank (sits outside the van)]
This was going to be my solution as well. How well does it work above 7000 ft? Can anything be done to make these run good at say 10000ft?
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
This was going to be my solution as well. How well does it work above 7000 ft? Can anything be done to make these run good at say 10000ft?
We usually park at 7800 ft. and it runs fine all night.