Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #1

Wheezing noise coming from Starcool A/C Vents

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Ford E250 SMB with a rear starcool unit installed. Whenever I run the dashboard A/C, a wierd noise comes from the rear starcool A/C vents. It is a strange wheezing noise. It sounds like my dying grandpa is in the back of the van. It wheezes for a second, then stops for a second, then wheezes again, etc (on, off, on, off, etc...) It only happens when I have the A/C on though. Its really annoying and my only solution so far has been to turn up the radio.

Has anybody had seen/heard this issue and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

MRR918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #2

Sounds like a fan blower somewhere. I'd start pulling panels until you find it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
At least with mine (an 06 Starcool III) there is a fan motor speed control. It pulls air through a condenser under the cabinet where the ducts are. Hopefully it's not a bearing or bushing in the motor. I would think it would make a different noise if you change the speed. I'd also look at the duct tubing and check to see if any debris is causing the noise.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #4

I don't believe the noise is coming from the blower. The noise happens when the starcool blower is off. It only happens when the van a/c is on (forward ac / dash ac / whatever you want to call it). I can run the starcool blower as just a fan. It is a 3 speed fan and it doesn't make any noises that would indicate a bad bearing, etc.

The other wierd thing is that even after I turn the van A/C off, the wheezing continues for another 30-60 seconds. It slowly becomes less and less and eventually stops entirely.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #5

I have no clue if the noise happens when the starcool a/c is on because when I run the starcool a/c i turn the blower on and the blower is too loud to tell if the wheezing noise is happening or not.,
Old 03-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
tlg

Garage
Definitely strange. Do you hear the noise when the starcool vents are fully open? Would also be curious if you hear the noise when a window is cracked open. Thinking pressure here.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRR918 View Post
I don't believe the noise is coming from the blower. The noise happens when the starcool blower is off. It only happens when the van a/c is on (forward ac / dash ac / whatever you want to call it). I can run the starcool blower as just a fan. It is a 3 speed fan and it doesn't make any noises that would indicate a bad bearing, etc.

The other wierd thing is that even after I turn the van A/C off, the wheezing continues for another 30-60 seconds. It slowly becomes less and less and eventually stops entirely.
Do you also have the 110AC compressor? When plugged into shore power does the Starcool put out cold air? Are you feeling cold air out of the Starcool when the engine is running and the Ford A/C is on?

I'm not sure of how your system works but my Ford system is tied to the Starcool. There are check valves that separates the two systems. If you have the 110AC compressor, in a sense that is another A/C system that isolates itself from the Ford air when the engine is off and you're on shore power. It is still necessary to run the 12 volt Starcool when running the Ford A/C for proper operation of both. There are check valves, orifice tubes that control refrigerant into the evaporator, and solenoid valves. I guess the first thing to check is the refrigerant level. The Ford level for my van IIRC is 4.7 or 4.9 pounds. I found repair people that work on add on A/C systems used in big rigs are not as confused about the Starcool like a dealership.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRR918 View Post
Hi All,

I have a 1997 Ford E250 SMB with a rear starcool unit installed. Whenever I run the dashboard A/C, a wierd noise comes from the rear starcool A/C vents. It is a strange wheezing noise.

Hey MRR918,

Did you ever figure out what was causing the sound?

Thanks,

Todd
tbrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air conditioning, appliances, interior, starcool