Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

Where should I install my Furnace?

So we have a winter camping trip in two weeks, checking the weather reports its going to be a balmy -3C (26.6F). While I have insulation for the van I haven't had the time to install it yet. I'm going to be renting a portable diesel furnace for this specific trip but I will likely want a permanent solution as it isn't going to get any warmer anytime soon.

I'm having a hard time deciding where to install the furnace as I'm still very early in my build and have not finalized my floor plan yet.

I have one of the swivel seats from 1der, can I still install it by the base of the seat? I know this isn't going to change anytime soon, although I may upgrade to Sienna seats down the road.

I usually keep my ARB fridge behind my driver seat next to my battery box which will eventually be installed under the passenger side frame rail.

Other than that I have a folding bench seat that is working as our bed platform right now. My van is gas, so I need to figure out where I should install the diesel fuel tank as well. There is a cavity on the rear driver side double door that I think could work. I would like to eventually have the tank installed back there on a swing arm behind a storage container but that project is likely going to be hold until next summer.

Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't have any advice on furnace location, but please install a CO detector before installing any furnace, temporary or not. How will you direct the exhaust out of the van? Lastly, you may also need to leave a window partially open as a fresh air intake.

Herb
Old 11-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks Herb,

I have a CO detector already, the furnace is portable unit so everything is in a case that would be outside the van. The only thing going inside is the temperature control unit and the heating tube which I am hoping will fit though one of my pop out windows or I might crack the window open. I usually leave my max fan open for air circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
7333D7E3-8C45-4755-A581-46E63107639C.jpg  
Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Looks interesting. Please be sure to report back on how well it works.

Herb
Old 11-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
That is cool!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

I pick it up for our trip on the 15th, will report back for sure with lots of photos!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #7

Garage
That certainly is a unique heating solution, my minds racing with different applications which I could make use of one of those units. I like it a lot!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

I like the versatility of the product. Could also be used for emergency heat in our home with proper ventilation or a work shed,hunting blind/ice fishing ect. Not as simple as pushing a button like a permanent install, but I think that would be okay considering I could use it elsewhere other than the van.

Here more info on the unit:

https://planarheaters.com/product/po...-planar-2d-12/

I'm sure you could build one using one of the cheaper china models.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Yikes! That’s pricey.
I might consider trying five of these (for half the cost).
Anbull 5KW Diesel Air Heater,12V All in One Kit Diesel Heater with Remote Control and LCD Display for RV Trucks Boat Car Trailer,Home,Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKV1HBS..._6lgYDbS5SFG1H
TheWeezersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

I installed mine behind my driver's seat. My thinking was that putting it towards the front where all the glass is would help minimize drafts and so far it's working great.

This truck shop in Canada has the best deal on the new Espar S2 that includes altitude adjustment and the Easy Start Pro controller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Next-Ge...QAAOSwLxpdd-Y-

It's diesel so for your gas van I'd contact him and he probably can make a deal on the gas version.