Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Why Do You Like Your Floor Plan?

Thanks for this forum. The answers and suggestions are so helpful. Now I asking again for your help.

We need to find a newer SMB to replace one that has served us well. It is a standard EB10 design (dinning area in the back, which converts to side wise sleeping beds) which we have learned to love. We are short, so we have no problem sleeping crosswise or up in the penthouse. We can make up the beds or not and use a table in front.

BUT none of the used rigs that have come on the market in the last year have this design. They all seem to be based on the gaucho located behind the driver's seat.

At present, we don't see why this is such a popular design. So what are we missing? So please tell us why you like this design especially after living with it for awhile. We are eager to read your responses because we are going to be looking at one soon. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Re: Why Do You Like Your Floor Plan?

Well, what's an EB10 look like?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #3

Other than how I described it above, see if this link from SMB will work:
(http://sportsmobile.com/1_std-eb-plans.html) but I am more interested in why you like the plan YOU have, such things a openness, storage, traffic pattern, etc. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #4

Well, I though it would help to compare and contrast, otherwise the statement "Because, the 50 is the best." is my answer.

The 50 provides a combined seating area, where the driver and passenger seats are part of the "dining room", although you can't really truly spin the driver seat. Entry into any seat is easy from the side doors, and the whole area is open in front of the counter. Swapping places with the spouse is (couch for passenger seat) is easy because the floorspace is wide enough to get by one another. The open area provided is large and it provides, in my opinion, the best feeling of being part of wherever you're camping- throw open the side doors and the inside is now an extension of the campsite, not an enclosed retreat from it. The world becomes your porch.

In addition, the side door pantry is about the most versatile item in the van, and I use it to cook inside, outside and at times away from the van (you can pull the whole pantry and take it with you).

Lastly, the fact that the small side door is not blocked is hugely important because entry through the single side door alone is difficult for me. It probably wouldn't be as bad if I had a counter like the EB10 to pull myself through with, but I prefer the wider opening for entry and egress.

Oh yeah, and they'd probably kick me out of the 50 club if I had a different floor plan.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #5

We have the EB50 as well... and i like it and all, but kind of wish we had a full walk through instead. Sometimes it sucks to have to go outside and open up the back to get to the under storage area in bad weather conditions. We bought our rig used so we didn't get to choose. However, like Jage said.. I do like the living area for when the couch is made and the front capt. chairs are turned. It makes for a nice relaxing area and with a EB model we have plenty of room to stretch out.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #6

everybody has their reasons for floor plan. I'm partial to eb 15 or 17 which is similiar

to eb 10 with longer beds. my wife and i are too tall for other way around and don't
want to climb over each other for bathroom break.

looks like its time for you to order one. with new inverters and options available(expensive)

it might make you happier

gerry
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #7

Our's is a RB50, I was sold on the walk-thru,beds on the sides, until we saw it. She did not like the feature of having to pull the bed/matress's together, and liked the idea of the the rb50 bench seat/bed. This is nicer if when driving,one of you want's to sack out. No bed/matress wrangling, just lift the seat and let it slide into a bed. We also "slid" the sink to the center of the countertop w/ space on each side. This allows easier washing and let's , w/you be in front of the sink in the mornings, if the other is still in bed. We use the portable stove and it sets between the sink and drivers seat.
If going solo I remove the door galley,allowing more space inside, and still have plenty of storage, the stove stores below where the wastebasket space is.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

We have an EB-71 Modified and lovin' it. When we were researching SMB's we were sold on the RB-50, since we had 3 Westys (and very familiar to the floor plan), until we saw Canyonclan's SMB. We ended up ordering the extended version of his rig with our little twist. We love the fact that we can access the under floor storage when the weather is bad outside, while having a spacious living space up-front. We have a lot of counter space, with a flush mounted stove.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #9

I just don't put anything in the underfloor that I would need unless I'm already going to be outside. Plus there is always stuff on it, in the underbed section so I've also taken out anything needed for the initial set up of camp too. I wouldn't complain if it was easier to access or not in the bottom of another storage area.

I agree with Patrick about the 50 sink. It's quite a twist to brush teeth, etc. where it is.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #10

This is a good topic for our first post. We just joined the fourm and we're trying to figure out the same thing for our new rig.
We are kind of partial to the EB61 since we will more than likely have a couple young grand kids with us on our trips. It looks like the 61 would sleep 4 easily and with the penthouse top even 5 or 6. It still seems pretty open and the back is accessible. Just note sure on the storage with the 61. It doesnt look like it has much.
Does anyone have this floor plan? or the 60?
The EB10 looks like it would be good too especially for all the space and could sleep 4 with the penthouse

The 50 looks like it would be best for 2 maybe 3 people at most although it does have more room and counter space but no access to the back from inside doenst seem good for us.
We wont be needing the porta potty and probably just carry a camp stove & bbq so it should free up some space. Big fridge and sink though.
surfgeek33 what does the EB71 look like? I dont see it on the SMB floorplan page.
77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote