Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Will ProMaster have unique and dedicated floor plans?

Due to differences in length and width compared to both Ford/Chevy and Sprinter vans, will ProMaster vans likely have their own dedicated floor plans?

I know SMB Web site says to use Sprinter plans for now for initial planning, but other than similar roof heights the two don't seem to be that similar. For example, longest Sprinter is 24 feet long and longest ProMaster only 21 feet long. And PM greater width may allow across sleeping for some where Sprinter may not.

Any thoughts on whether PM will have different and unique floor plans?

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Re: Will ProMaster have unique and dedicated floor plans?

Well for starters you can still do anything you want, like put a full bank of fridges down each side. Want 3 microwaves? I'm pretty sure SMB will do that.

Second there aren't any "new" floorplans. There is still going to be the 50, the 27, the 47 etc. It's still going to be couch, sink, gaucho, closet, pantry, counter. Unless you want a specific aisle width or something really exact, I doubt it matters too much- it's still door on the right, two wheel wells. The height still allows stacked single bunks, most likely anyway.

Let's look; Listed cargo bed lengths (not sure how these are figured on each):
PM: 105, 123, 146, or 160
Sprinter: 128, 169, 185
Ford: 122.4, 142.4

So I guess the only "new" option is like the 27 less the 2nd set of captains chairs, or the 50 without the center cabinet? Might be an option for minimalist / weight / offroad advantages. After all, people get by with the RB50!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

As stated above, SMB will custom build your design, you are not limited to the floorplans they have on the website.

Our van has a custom floorplan, and we had to change parts of it because they could not put a furnace where we wanted - too close to the fuel filler and against RVIA rules and regs. And, we wound up with a rear dinette that is a non-standard size - 51" wide - because it fit.

We spent several emails and a couple of phone conversations trying to get something we could live with and that they could make.

You can start with a standard floorplan and modify it to suit, or start from scratch.

FYI: If you add up the cost of various cabinets, refrigs, stoves, etc. and price out a standard floorplan you will find the cost of the basic conversion and the components is the cost of the floorplan. Nothing gained by using a standard except the layout is already done.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
.....cut........

Let's look; Listed cargo bed lengths (not sure how these are figured on each):
PM: 105, 123, 146, or 160
Sprinter: 128, 169, 185
Ford: 122.4, 142.4

.......cut.......
Thanks, sounds like you guys don't expect anything that new. Mostly different combinations of same components repackaged slightly to fit space.

The SMB site doesn't list the 118 inch WB short model, only the 136 WB low and high roof, and the 159 WB extended and long bodies which only come in high roof. In that light the 123 and 146 cargo lengths are close enough to Ford and Chevy vans.

I was hoping that SMB would do something new based on ProMaster. Winnebago introduced the Travato which has a floor plan previously used only with class Cs (as far as I know). The extra width made it possible.

An interest of mine for PM is whether a loft bed similar to what is attached to bottom of penthouse roofs on other vans is possible. Or something similar. Basically a bed that can be stowed during day (similar to Travato) except allowing space during day to have alternate function, not just to haul cargo like in Travato.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote