Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Windows blacked out

It is hot and I made sunshades for all windows from Reflectix or silver bubble wrap as I call it. To my surprise I was able to effectively black out the windows.

I hope I will never again be so cheap as to avoid campgrounds or sleep in neighborhoods, but there was a time. Never was I able to so effectively black out windows this well.

In the back windows the reflectix slips between the window and the trim. Absolutely no light comes in or out.

The side window are similar. The Reflectix gets squashed between the window and the sill when closed. Again it is perfect except the slot for the mechanism. A small piece slipped up from the bottom solves the problem.

The big bay window has a sill all the way around. I only had to move the bottom of the curtain a bit to make room to slip the Reflectix between it. Amazing this worked too. I have a similar smaller window over the counter.

The drivers side window was not so perfect. But most sides are just pinched in the door. Only at the bottom is there light and if one is careful it can be sealed. A piece of tape can take care of it too.

The front window I thought would be impossible, but with careful cutting the only leak is at the vin number plate. The rear view mirror comes off easily so no slits were necessary.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Re: Windows blacked out

and how much cooler did it make it inside?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
and how much cooler did it make it inside?
I haven't taken any measurements but it is massive. The front window is the real hot box and the privacy curtain does very little. I also had the bay window trim out and put pink insulation down the side of the van. I didn't get into the other side.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #4

Garage

Kinda hard to see where you're going, no?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

We go to Wichita Falls TX the week before Labor Day for a bike ride called the Hotter-N-Hell. It usually is. The first year I had the van I didn't have any reflectix just used the shades and it was pretty miserable. The next year I was all set with reflectix in all the windows and it was like home, nice and cool. That little bit of foil and plastic gives amazing results. Works equally well for retaining heat in the winter. It's also very durable. I've been using it for 2 years now and it still fits snugly in all the windows.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Wouldn't it work better on the outside?
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
Wouldn't it work better on the outside?
No, because it would blow away

More seriously, I think you're right, but it's marginal. And it's so much easier to attach on the inside. The glass will heat a bit, and so will the Reflectix, and that heat is kept inside, but it isn't that much. And in cold weather having it on the inside works better for similar reasons.

For the outside I like that mesh that allows some light but not all; SMB sold a windshield screen like that. Or various shade cloth solutions that you can use as an awning. No insulation, but even 50% shade makes a difference. And since they allow a bit of light they're OK outside. If you use opaque stuff outside it's a pain to go out and move it every time you wanna look around.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

We cut reflectix to fit all the windows when we first got the van, and have been happily using it for over two years now.

It does turn the van into a bit of a sensory deprivation chamber. I have to lift a corner on the back window to find out if it's light outside or not.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
We cut reflectix to fit all the windows when we first got the van, and have been happily using it for over two years now.

It does turn the van into a bit of a sensory deprivation chamber. I have to lift a corner on the back window to find out if it's light outside or not.
Ditto here. The only one that gives me trouble is the smaller side door window. For whatever reason the trim is really tight there and reflectix just doesn't want to cooperate (I have a passenger van). A cool thing about Refectix with a PH is you can open up all of those windows while leaving the Reflectix in the lower windows and you have light, airflow AND privacy. Dressing or whatever below isn't visible from the outside.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

Garage

nice writeup!

i did this about a month ago too. i use all of them when the van sits inbetween camp trips, but i use the one for the front window all the time. they are really handy, but i noticed that the one i cut out for the windshield is actually shrinking. so if your going to do this, make the one for the windshield a little bigger than you normally would

im also too lazy to remove the rearview mirror, so one small slice in the center and its easy enough to install from stop to stop for daily use. i did use packing tape to reinforce around the cut so it cant rip though. it does let a little light through, but if its light out, i wanna be up doing camping crap anyway, lol.

I also used packing tape for little tabs so they have a spot to pull on for eazy removal. kinda hard to tell in pic, but you get the point.

they are really nice camping when its hot out. suprised me the first time i used it to keep cool up camping. some strategic parking and these covers, and its really easy to keep the inside considerably cooler.

i went and bought a thermal heat lazer gun dealy at harbor freight to see how much the temps are down using reflectix covers vs not, but we havent had the same temps/conditions 2 days in a row for exact measuring for weeks, but the temps have ranged from 5 degrees cooler to 15 degrees cooler, depending on weather of course.

one 25' roll did all 6 doors and the windshield with a 5' piece leftover. took me about an hour by myself. super easy to do and Im really happy I took the time to make the covers.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote