Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Wiring a Truckfridge, and cabinet

Hi --

About to pull the trigger on a TF49 or a TF65. I have room for either, but I don't know how much more juice the TF65 pulls over the TF49. Both are currently on back-order, but the TF65 is expected any day.

Three questions:

1. What's the story with the wiring? The TF user manual says:

If the truck was not equipped with a fridge from the factory, the manufacturer would often connect the fridge wire to the a 12v cigarette type receptacle. In these cases, unplug the connector from the rear of this receptacle and plug this into the connector on the fridge wires. NOTE: There are proper wire connectors available from TruckFridge for most truck wiring installations.

Elsewhere I read something about a "T-connector" but can't find that now. So: when I get this critter how do I wire it to my fuse block? I had figured just splice more 14AWG to the wires from the fridge, add a couple of ring terminals and a 15 Amp fuse to the block. The fridge will be 5.5' from my fuse block. Yes?

2. Should I build the cabinet opening to match the height and width of the fridge, or a bit wider? upper hinge clearance? I've read that I need 1" of air gap on the sides and top, and 2" in the back (again, not sure where I read that). Does that sound right? I'll have plenty of venting high and low at the rear.

3. I have also read of people attaching rigid foam sheets to the walls and top of the fridge to make it more efficient. Not sure if this is done in addition to the 1" air gap, or instead of. Thoughts?

Any advice on installing the TruckFridge in my home-build would be much appreciated!