Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Aluminum Underfloor Storage Box $300 (15.5"x15.5"x32")

As the title states I'm offering 5052 .125 aluminum underfloor storage boxes for sale. These sized boxes currently fit Ford EB models when the underfloor spare tire carrier is removed.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6757

Box ready to ship (12" x 24" opening with vinyl trim, 1" flange, drain plug, washers / backer plates and shims):

Standard subfloor box only: $300

Includes:

* 15.5"x15.5"x32" aluminum box made out of 5052, .125" sheetmetal. All corners either bent or tig welded. Standard size opening for Ford EB models is 12" x 24" with a 1" flange for carpeted surfaces.

* Access hole rimmed in black vinyl trim. Opening can be cut to your size requirements (no charge).

* Box top flange of 6061, 1/8" bar stock of your choice of height (1", 1.25", 1.5") based on your flooring+subfloor dimension needs (no charge).

* 4 - 2 x 2 x 7/16" spacers for mounting (6061 barstock tacked together).

* 4 - 2 x 2 x 3/16 "washers" (6061 bar stock cut to length).

*Aluminum bung with tapped 1/4" npt hole and plug for drainage on an outside corner or bottom where you determine.

Available for pickup in Portland, OR or shipped (your actual cost) via UPS. I did a quick UPS search and it was around $50 for shipping from PDX to SF via ground for a 35# parcel with the box dimensions.

Options:

* Subtract depth to make shallower (you choose any final depth dimension) $25.

* Cutaway lower trailing edge for better departure angle (your choice of angle) $50.

* Smooth floor lid/hatch with interior 6061 1" angle flange and aluminum piano hinge $150 (your choice of dimension). No latch but I can drill a hole for your choice of latch. Latches can be sourced from West Marine, Gander Mountain, etc. A simple rope pull through grommets could also be an elegant and inexpensive solution.

* At this point, I'm open to trying to make one of these boxes work for you if you have specific needs that aren't met by any of the above. Feel free to ask.

PM me for details. Generally if I am around (i.e. not on vacation) it shouldn't take me more than a couple of days from time of order to get your box shipped as I've got materials on hand and partial boxes built.

Paypal, check, or cash accepted.

Mulder.sam@gmail.com
593 801 0378

Old 04-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Re: Aluminum Underfloor Storage Box $300 (15.5"x15.5"x32")

Special offer for the first customer order with a Ford RB:

Send me detailed pictures and measurements of underfloor area on your RB and I'll sell you a box for $250.

That's a $50 savings for a little crawling around under your van!

First pm with pictures to me gets to claim it.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #3

I have a chevy express that I want to do this to. i will check the measurements to see if it will work.
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrx451
I have a chevy express that I want to do this to. i will check the measurements to see if it will work.

I'll give you the same $250 deal if you can provide me with details of the underbody so that I can modify my existing box to fit your van type.

A few pictures and measurements from the critical frame rails and underbody structural members is what I'm looking for.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #5

I have rear air. I either need to relocate the vacuum canister(?), or make modify the box accordingly. Ideas?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by northleftcoast
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrx451

I'll give you the same $250 deal if you can provide me with details of the underbody so that I can modify my existing box to fit your van type.

A few pictures and measurements from the critical frame rails and underbody structural members is what I'm looking for.

ok, let me get some measurements. I will also be putting in Vantred so I need to figure out the thickness of it.
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
I have rear air. I either need to relocate the vacuum canister(?), or make modify the box accordingly. Ideas?

Can you send me a picture? I haven't ever seen a van with the rear a/c option, so I don't know how the unit is positioned. I can always make the box a bit narrower if the canister sits along the frame rail. Also, could you swap it to the outside of the frame to make room for the box?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

Ford vans with rear AC will not affect under-floor storage. The AC system is completely outboard of the frame.

It turns out the 15 passenger vans do have some bracket that interfere. These bracket are extra support for the 5th row mounting, and tie to the door sill support. I had to trim about an inch off each bracket, and since it was 1/4" and under the floor, not super easy. But even then, still only about 30 minutes to the job.

I used a plasma torch for all cutting.

BEWARE - the flat area on the EB vans is not where the body crossmember is. I thought I'd be smart and move the box forward for easier inside access. But I found said body crossmember, and had to weld my cut back up, and move the hole rearward.

Sorry. No pics yet because my POS Samsung Intercept is a POS.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Ford vans with rear AC will not affect under-floor storage. The AC system is completely outboard of the frame.

It turns out the 15 passenger vans to have some bracket that interfere. These bracket are extra support for the 5th row mounting, and tie to the door sill support. I had to trim about an inch off each bracket, and since it was 1/4" and under the floor, not super easy. But even then, still only about 30 minutes to the job.
Bummer about the seat mount plates. The three vans that I've put boxes in so far has been cargo models, so I didn't consider running into those mounting brackets. I'd like to see some pictures of them.

I wonder if 4x4 tour is looking at his charcoal canister? 4x4, you've got a v-10 right? Is it an RB or EB? On my old v-6 gasser e-250 My canister was on the left frame rail inboard IIRC.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

My charcoal canister is mounted on the forward side of the frame crossmember, forward of where the tire carrier was. But I think there is some variation where is sits. The canister can be moved, as long as up stays up.