Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 04:09 AM   #71

Garage
Hi Ray.

Any shipping news on Brackets & Door Talon?

Doug

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #72

Hi Doug, All -

Door Claws received Wednesday afternoon and I spent yesterday evening assembling the kits. Everything is going out today/tomorrow.

Doug, yours is in today's batch (Claw and Brackets).

Thank you for your patience!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #73

Ray - has anyone tried mounting a road shower to your brackets? One of these Road Shower - The Rack Mounted Solar Shower - Road Shower 2 ? i have a manual lift top and don't the weight up there, but mounted like an awning...?
freddiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiejohn View Post
Ray - has anyone tried mounting a road shower to your brackets? One of these Road Shower - The Rack Mounted Solar Shower - Road Shower 2 ? i have a manual lift top and don't the weight up there, but mounted like an awning...?
Good idea but it may be too heavy. I'm not sure how much a Fiamma awning weighs but the CVT and similar awnings I've mounted with these brackets were enough on the rain gutters or me and they don't weigh that much!

How heavy is the road shower empty? You'd need to add about 50 lbs. to that for water. I'm assuming its 5 -6 gallons, right?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #75

I think there a few issues with mounting the shower to the brackets.

1. The weight (55 lbs filled) is heavier than the F45s awning by at least 10 lbs. so at least four, maybe five brackets (esp considering #3 below)
2. The shower is short so would have to go probably on drivers side because the side doors opening is too wide, no brackets in the opening.
3. The leverage of the shower tube on the brackets/gutter - 7 inches wide vs. 4 in for the awning.
4. The tube mounts are in the bottom, so some sort of L bracket needed to attach the brackets to the tube mounting surface.

Then there is the requirement for sunlight to heat the tube. Being so close to and in the potential shadow of the top even when down may diminish the solar heating.

Centering it on the roof creates some issues for filling. Pretty sure the top springs could be adjusted to compensate for the weight.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #76

MAY 23: New batch of Z Awning Brackets - 3 pc set- coming in a couple of weeks. I will not make anymore before the end of the year. Figured you guys might want them for summer / fall so I went out on a limb. Shipping will be by June 10. There are 15 sets available.

PayPal to searay230@gmail.com
$185 Friends and Family, or
$192 for Goods and Services
Please include your forum name, ph and shipping address for US Mail delivery in the comments section.

Let me know if any questions! Thanks, Ray
Old 05-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #77

Any examples of what folks are doing to cover up/fill the old holes that SMB butchered into the side of the van when they installed the awnings the first time? These were the big holes put in the sheet metal for the middle and rear brackets that were used with the "swell" nuts. Just FYI when I took my old ones off they were very lose and weren't long from ripping out of the sheet metal.

Thank you
Tracey
Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #78

Hi Tracey, If i remember correctly, the new brackets either cover completely or (nearly completely), the SMB holes.

The dimensions from the bottom face of the gutter to the bottom edge of the bracket is 2-7/16", and the brackets are 3-1/8" wide. There is a neoprene pad on the back face of the bracket where it rests against the side body panel. A very flat plastic plug with silicone sealant would likely work. Hope that helps.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Hi Tracey, If i remember correctly, the new brackets either cover completely or (nearly completely), the SMB holes.

The dimensions from the bottom face of the gutter to the bottom edge of the bracket is 2-7/16", and the brackets are 3-1/8" wide. There is a neoprene pad on the back face of the bracket where it rests against the side body panel. A very flat plastic plug with silicone sealant would likely work. Hope that helps.

I should have mentioned that the brackets I have were from a few years ago and they were just raw steal. I'm getting them cleaned up now and powder coating them in my shop. I will either do a similar neoprene pad or I was considering that plastic dip stuff that is used on wrenches and hand drivers.
I guess if the holes are not going to show anything silicone might be just fine?
Thank you
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #80

Package came today. Wow. Nice stuff. Detailed instructions answers many questions. Kudos.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote