Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
That is looking good, can't wait to see it in person. I send you a text next time I'm in Boulder or close to Ned. Of course I know you might be traveling but worth a shot. Hope all is well.
Thanks Mark, Too freakin cold to do too much right now. I put a heater in the van to help cure the glue. Still left it twice as long as the directions said. I have big ambitions till I go outside and feel the chill. I need a heated shop with a 12 foot door.

I would love to get together. I am mostly home on the weekends. We should arrange a time to hang very soon. I never get bored of talking vans.

DaYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #152

The last time I converted a van to camper status was 1975. Hmmm. Things have changed. A fiberglass top then was very affordable but not anymore and sourcing one here in Canada is almost impossible for an extended 2005 Chevy Express. (My current project) So.....good luck with your plans on the Ford van tops. Sure wish I could find something for the extended Chevy but it seems there is nothing within my very low budget. Planning on doing my own build. Certainly not impossible to do a nice looking top but a LOT of work and it seems I am not as young as I used to be. :-) Anyone have any leads on a low cost high top 26 - 30"....new or used? Canada or the western US? BTW, I'm on Vancouver Island.
John Veale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #153
MSD

Garage
Yes Tufport in Canada you can get a high top from them for a good price... tufport.com search for there 28” grand sport.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #154

Smile Hi top availability in Canada

Thanks for the heads up on Tufport Hi top. Unfortunately, they do not make a top for the extended Chevy. Ford yes, but Chevy no. I dropped in and had a chat with them the last time I was on the mainland and we had a good discussion, but no luck I'm afraid. So....on with the challenge. :-)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #155
MSD

Garage
Ok try fiberglassme.com there are know as FGME do lots of tops in the van industry out of Thomasville, NC I know they make GM tops which will fit Chevy
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #156

Thanks again MSD. I checked their website and it reads as though they only do the long wheel base tops for the Fords and regular wheelbase for the GM or Chevy. I have written to get confirmation though. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #157

Any Updates on the tops? I have a number of customers looking to have some installed and was hoping to get some info. I hope it going well!
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #158

Hi Hoodie.

NC is at opposite ends of the earth for me, though I did contact them and it just wasn't possible because of cost. Our dollar for example is about 70 percent of the US dollar and with that factored in, it was no contest for my final decision to build my own. I'm wanting it to look as professionally done as possible and the challengers to accomplish that are greater than my optimistic nature thought it would be. It'll work in the end, but with lots of effort on my part. All good fun I tell myself. :-)
Old 04-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #159
MSD

Garage
I’ll post this up again... all my mold/plugs are sold. No longer offering tops. Best to contact Fiberine. Fiberglassme or tufport (don’t have tufport install) they do some weird stuff with their installs. Shipping is what will kill you in the end for a new top. Other options are find donor vans with fixed high tops... they are out there. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #160

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I’ll post this up again... all my mold/plugs are sold. No longer offering tops. Best to contact Fiberine. Fiberglassme or tufport (don’t have tufport install) they do some weird stuff with their installs. Shipping is what will kill you in the end for a new top. Other options are find donor vans with fixed high tops... they are out there. Good luck.

Well shit! Whoever you sold the molds to isn't going to sell the tops themselves?