Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

2001 Ford E-350 Extended 15 passenger newbie

Hello all! I stumbled across this forum after trying to see if I made a mistake in buying this van to attempt to shove some dirt bikes in the back. Hoping I can search on here and find that there is a way to do it nicely. I have the tools (welders etc) as I work on vintage motorcycles for fun. If anyone knows a handy thread that could help, please let me know, otherwise I'm quite happy to have found this place! I'm sure I'll get tons of ideas and learn a lot!

MotorbikeBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

I use this: 3 Dirt Bike Kit Rack System – Bolt It On Rack Systems behind the 2nd row of my 15 passenger van. I put flush mount D-rings in the floor with large plate washers underneath (I see that Boltiton sells nice washers just for that now), then cut flaps in the carpet so the D-rings are hidden when not in use. It's a bit snug with 3 fullsize dirtbikes back there (while keeping a comfortable distance between bar ends and windows) and takes a bit of effort to get all 3 tied in just right, but they will fit with seating for 5. I generally default to 2 inside and one on the hitch hauler unless I'm pulling a trailer. If one of those 3 is super-mini sized or smaller, things go much easier. 2 full size bikes is easy.

I tried the Risk Racing Lock-and-Load at first, but it just wasn't as versatile.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #3

Thanks man! Great info!! And thanks for the link!! I was worried I had bought the wrong van but this is going to be great. Typically we'd have just 2 full size bikes in the back, my brother in law got me into enduro/hare scramble races this past year so it's usually just the two of us and maybe my kids 50cc too. Do you have any pictures of your setup? Or a link to any threads. Thanks again for the help you've already given! I'm feeling quite a bit better about my purchase now.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

I started in with the E-track (got the "x" track version for both directions) so I could move the D-rings wherever needed. I don't mind if they are "out there" as the van's normal purpose is picking big things up and putting dirt bikes in. She's not glamorous enough for me to mind hiding the stuff Thanks for the confidence boost, I've already loaded one bike in and moved it from point A to point B with relatively little effort. I'm stoked!
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

I use mine for similar stuff, but just wheel chicks and D-rings.

Even fits a KTM990

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #6

Nuke, what van do you have? (year?) I really like those captains chairs and those would be perfect for my two kids and their car seats....
Old 02-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

We did this for years. We could stuff 3 enduro bikes (2 forward, one backward) in a regular length van with a single bench still behind the front seats. We dreamed of having an extended E-series back then! One consideration I would make is to put plywood in those rear side windows. I remember several times we would hit a big bump and the bikes would shift and we almost put a bark buster through the side window. It also helps with security.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

My last bike I had in the van...

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

My God! A Blackbird will fit in this thing!? That's one hell of a bike! And those enduros are making me think I can fit my Super Tenere in here with the windscreen off....oh man....so many more things I can use her for. Anyone got links to the captain seat swap for an 01'? I'd really like to put those in versus the bench seat for my kids. Although safety is quite important, so I want to make sure it's not a hack job ya know?
Old 02-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #10

Second row captains chairs were available from at least 1994 (my RB E-350 came equipped with that and a flat folding bed) through 2009, I believe. My brother owned a 2004 7-passenger E-350 with this option in leather, but I think you could get them beyond then. They've changed slightly in style and seatbelt implementation over the years.

My EB is equipped with the so-call "quad captains chairs" option, making it a 14-passenger van. I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen another one. Most are the short vans. I seldom use any seats behind those 4.Tthe base for these seats is unique, so be sure to get them if you source the seats from a salvage yard. Seatbelts are unique too.

As for tie-downs, I use e-track right up to the back of the rear "captains charis". Watch the sheet metal screws when you secure track near the fuel tank. L-track is another option, but I've never used it. I've never had an issue with the e-track however.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote