Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Tequilasunset welcome to the forum great bunch for sure… Sorry to hear about all the CCV issues. My business is about 6 miles from Derek, I have gone back and forth with either CCV or Tufport. I have heard of issues with him/CCV but only rumor mill, not actual photo's and emails. That being said I will take a trip up to Canada and get a Tufport. I was entertaining the thought anyhow but now my mind is made up. Wishing you all the best in getting this all taken care of...
Thanks for the kind words MSD!

You live in a wonderful area! Man... I loved the Fort and Loveland areas, I arrived 2 days early to just get a feel for the area and make it a sort of a vacation, and make some good memories (almost pulled it off)... the vibe of the area, the character, craft brews, the way people were so polite (well most of them LOL) I wish I could live there!

tequilasunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I have gone back and forth with either CCV or Tufport
For a poptop? Tufport makes a poptop?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:30 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
Nice! I have a vanagon too, and at a cool camp event for them, the guy that runs one of the events is sort of in the same way... sold his dub and has a suv now

EDIT... just realized you are THAT person... I'm slow
'fraid not. I sold my SMB (and got an Excursion + off-road teardrop) and have never owned a Vanagon.

Herb

BTW, I think Ramsey (Agile Off-road) had the best suggestion. Get the top to fit right, and then have it Rhino lined. Cheaper than getting the gel coat fixed and more durable.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:55 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
Hi Eric!

So would it be cool to post that info here? Just got the estimate to repair the gelcoat only... almost the cost of the install!!!

In my early research days, I seriously considered Colorado Campers. But things didn't add up. Glad, I didn't go down that Path. Imagine the repairs problems with the vehicle in Australia?
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
'fraid not. I sold my SMB (and got an Excursion + off-road teardrop) and have never owned a Vanagon.

Herb

BTW, I think Ramsey (Agile Off-road) had the best suggestion. Get the top to fit right, and then have it Rhino lined. Cheaper than getting the gel coat fixed and more durable.
That just might be the ticket!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
In my early research days, I seriously considered Colorado Campers. But things didn't add up. Glad, I didn't go down that Path. Imagine the repairs problems with the vehicle in Australia?
YIKES... yeah that is a bit far! I'm 5 states away driving and that is incredibly far, but plays into his hands. I'd be there everyday if I lived near by
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #37

Tequila, welcome aboard and I'm super sorry to hear about your problems with Derek and CCV. I'm one of the early CCV customers who had my Ford EB van done years ago. Larrie (forum handle) has and loves that van now. I had a couple of alignment problems and a remote go haywire on me but at that point I genuinely thought Derek was just new to the scene and having some growing pains. I'm really sad to hear how he has treated you. The facts are that can converters (especially pop tops) are few and far between. There are several here who have been very happy with Derek's work as he does offer a good product, but the attention to detail and business practices are going to have to get better across the board for him to succeed. I really hate to say it since personally I think he is a really cool and talented guy.

You are welcome here, even to bring up problems. People need to know the good and bad experiences with these expensive toys. Astro vans are awesome microcampers anyway and we need a few folks to carry the torch.

Baja has the best idea. Get it Raptor/Rhinolined and move on. It will cost 1/5 of the repair quote. The structural problems should be pretty straightforward for any fabricator or the like. Let us know where you are and someone will step up with a recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Tequila, welcome aboard and I'm super sorry to hear about your problems with Derek and CCV. I'm one of the early CCV customers who had my Ford EB van done years ago. Larrie (forum handle) has and loves that van now. I had a couple of alignment problems and a remote go haywire on me but at that point I genuinely thought Derek was just new to the scene and having some growing pains. I'm really sad to hear how he has treated you. The facts are that can converters (especially pop tops) are few and far between. There are several here who have been very happy with Derek's work as he does offer a good product, but the attention to detail and business practices are going to have to get better across the board for him to succeed. I really hate to say it since personally I think he is a really cool and talented guy.

You are welcome here, even to bring up problems. People need to know the good and bad experiences with these expensive toys. Astro vans are awesome microcampers anyway and we need a few folks to carry the torch.

Baja has the best idea. Get it Raptor/Rhinolined and move on. It will cost 1/5 of the repair quote. The structural problems should be pretty straightforward for any fabricator or the like. Let us know where you are and someone will step up with a recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words Scotty... and I didn't want to come off as a whiner right out of the gate, but this has been burning me up. I am generally a goof ball and prefer it that way

One common theme is, Derek does a lot of FIXING... getting it right the first time does not seem to be a top priority unfortunately. I mean its not a perfect world in which we live in, stuff can and will go wrong on occasion... but when its fairly common, a person needs to have some higher standards when running a business.

Locally I have a shop that did a 1.8T conversion for my Vanagon (Stephan's Auto Haus) along with gobs of other work (close to 30K in work)... and I have pimped the heck out of his shop the last 3 years and brought him many customers. I wish other companies (people) followed Stephan's lead... Stephan has an outstanding reputation.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #39

I'd take it straight to him and see if he can get the mechanical stuff on your top right, and go have it lined after. I'm not trying to wear this point out as it may not be your choice, but having recently Raptorlined a top I can't believe any offroad van would have it any other way. I also can't believe converters will actually do the paint and work (gelcoat, etc.) involved in getting them right when Raptor is so easy and tough. Anyway, just my .02

You're not a whiner. Hang around awhile, we all do a little of that here. I'm currently whining cause I don't have a van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'd take it straight to him and see if he can get the mechanical stuff on your top right, and go have it lined after. I'm not trying to wear this point out as it may not be your choice, but having recently Raptorlined a top I can't believe any offroad van would have it any other way. I also can't believe converters will actually do the paint and work (gelcoat, etc.) involved in getting them right when Raptor is so easy and tough. Anyway, just my .02

You're not a whiner. Hang around awhile, we all do a little of that here. I'm currently whining cause I don't have a van.

5 states away, not so easy...

UPDATE... I am in communication with Matt, lets see what happens.