Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

Afraid to ask this question...

...is this forum for Sportsmobile brand vans or sportsmobile type of vans that are for travel/camping/exploring?

I have a 2005 Safari AWD with a recent nightmare of pop-top installation done by Colorado Camper Van in (Duh) Colorado. Other than the nightmare it's coming together as sportsmobile to me

tequilasunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

I don't own a SMB, just a regular E-series van, and they haven't tarred and feathered me!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I don't own a SMB, just a regular E-series van, and they haven't tarred and feathered me!
Sweet, thanks for the reply...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

Welcome tequilasunset! This forum has been supportive of all types of vans, home builds or name brand. Lots of great folks and information here.

I recognize your screen name from Expo. Same person with the Astro as on expo? Someone had forwarded your Expo Astro pop top thread to me and I responded to you by PM. Hope that all gets worked out!
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
Welcome tequilasunset! This forum has been supportive of all types of vans, home builds or name brand. Lots of great folks and information here.

I recognize your screen name from Expo. Same person with the Astro as on expo? Someone had forwarded your Expo Astro pop top thread to me and I responded to you by PM. Hope that all gets worked out!
Eric

Hi Eric!

So would it be cool to post that info here? Just got the estimate to repair the gelcoat only... almost the cost of the install!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
...is this forum for Sportsmobile brand vans or sportsmobile type of vans that are for travel/camping/exploring?...
Rumor has it that there's even a forum admin over here that doesn't even own an SMB anymore.

Welcome.

Herb
Old 07-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

Afraid to ask this question...

Tequila,

How is CCV reacting to that $5,100 bill?

And welcome my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Rumor has it that there's even a forum admin over here that doesn't even own an SMB anymore.

Welcome.

Herb
Nice! I have a vanagon too, and at a cool camp event for them, the guy that runs one of the events is sort of in the same way... sold his dub and has a suv now

EDIT... just realized you are THAT person... I'm slow
Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
Tequila,

How is CCV reacting to that $5,100 bill?

And welcome my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Will find out tomorrow... here's is some insight to him contacting the company to repair my top (one of MANY issues) I have posted this on 3 other sites... (see pics in my gallery in regard to the top)

Got the estimate... and here is the rest of the story!

When I met with the contact person that Derek spoke with yesterday even he was not happy with Derek. Derek wanted a quote then and there and the guy would not give it to him without seeing my van (DUH)
The contact was telling Derek what they do and how they would probably approach it, and what their Hrly rate was... and Derek was telling him it was too much from the get go! The contact was not too happy, saying who is this guy telling me how to run my business? Derek also demanded that he not give me the estimate quote... SMH!

So the drum roll.... $5,181.93 is the bill to repair the top!!!

The big problem will be the type resin that was used to build the top, it may not be compatible... sigh... but it's not like Derek would agree anyway.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
... Derek also demanded that he not give me the estimate quote... SMH!
Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Makes me wonder if he might offer you $500 or so, to have you deal with it since you won't know the cost to fix it. Hopefully that is not the case.

Herb