Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #11

If you end up with a Quigley which is about 95% likely you really should budget in for new shocks progressive coils and an add a leaf. It would also be a good idea to replace the torque arms with an upgraded set because the C channel ones have a bad habit of cracking if you do much four wheeling. After a particularly brutal drive through the mountains where I put my wifes' head into the ceiling, I did the suspension upgrade and I would now consider it mandatory. Agile Offroad has the RIP kit and it is worth its weight in gold.

As for the argument about 7.3 or v10 it's hard to give a clear answer. When I'm driving slow up in the mountains on bumpy dirt roads I really love the low end torque of the 7.3. Seems like I never even have to hit the gas and it pretty much just chugs over everything. In town and on the highway its pretty loud and can be pretty annoying on a long road trip. Like every motor out there it also has some gremlins that should be addressed if you plan to drive it hard though.

CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #12

More good info, and things I would not have considered. I really appreciate it! Good points on the diesel too, as I do plan on putting on a lot of miles.
ADVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #13

Garage
Steve,
Welcome to the group and good meeting you up in Alaska. I will also keep an eye out for a good van for you.
Justin

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #14

Hey Justin, great to meet up on here. You realize I hold you fully responsible for my new found obsession. You'll see I'm following your counsel, and getting great feedback from others as well. Let's catch up soon, and thanks again!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #15

Hi all, also joined to drink from the fountain of collective knowledge while considering fun-on-wheels. It is an on-going education, thanks everyone.

Here is a twofer < https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...235692316.html > one of which is a 99 E350 V10 4x4. Pic at Expeditionportal < FOUND Vans For Sale! - Page 343 - Expedition Portal >. Owner says wants to sell both at once; getting a new one.

ADVer (or others), don't know floorplans, PM if interested in joining forces. Re diesel: had a 6.2 in an 86 GMC Suburban 4x4 - agree on low end power but it sure made it presence known audibly.
snomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #16

Garage
I think that a lot of folks will tend to agree that:
- diesel does better than gas for serious offroading--both due to torque and fuel mileage;
- gas is significantly quieter than diesel when on the road;
- diesel gets better fuel mileage overall;
- gas is less expensive to maintain.

In the diesel category, many folks prefer the 7.3 over the 6.0 due to the issues associated with the 6.0, but there are plenty of folks who attentively maintain their 6.0 diesels, and are very happy with them.

In the gas category, many folks prefer the V10 over the V8, due to the added power available with the V10. Personally, I looked for, and bought a V8, and I wouldn't want anything else for my use pattern, which involves lots of pavement time followed by shorter stretches of offroad time.

I generally run 89 octane gas--always top tier--in my rig, and the V8 is smooth and quiet. If I need to get going in a hurry, I punch it and it picks up and goes. Personally, I don't need anything more than that. I will never beat a V10 in a race, but I don't use my van for racing. I get better fuel mileage than the V10, which--because I drive my van a lot--is a definite plus for me.

I was parked at the post office the other day. My V8 was running, but you couldn't hear it. A guy drove in with a pickup with a 7.3...that classic, manly, diesel sound. I can't match that. Then again, having a manly van is not one of my goals in life. Instead, I want a rig that serves my use pattern, which the V8 does, about as perfectly as anything could.

I think the key, for each of us is:
- to pick what will work best for our own uses;
- to get the van that provides that un-measurable quality that, when we look at our rigs, makes us spontaneously say, "YES!" inside. As you continue your search, when you hit that YES, go for it.

Good luck--and you WILL be required to post photos when you find your rig.

Bianca
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #17

Thanks Bianca, you make a very good case for gas over diesel, and even a small V8 over a V10. I completely agree on the pluses and minuses for each, and the "it depends" comment about use cases. My particular use case will be a lot of miles to get to destinations in the Western US, Canada, and AK involving a mix of on and off highway travel. Off highway being primarily Forest Service and gravel roads, and the goal of completing all of the Backcountry Discovery Routes. If anyone here is not familiar with the BDR's I highly recommend getting on Butler Maps website and taking a look. They are fantastic routes, primarily designed for adventure motorcycles, but I find them to be great with mildly built Offroad rigs. If there are any technical sections, they usually identify an easier option. Butler also offers regular motorcycle route maps, mostly paved but with some off-road trails (not BDR) for several states. I find these maps extremely useful for finding the most scenic roads in each of the states, whether you are on a motorcycle or in a vehicle. Jeez, I've hijacked my own thread, sorry everyone! Back to finding the right van. You have all helped me open my mind a bit, so thanks for that, and keep those suggestions coming. And yes Bianca, I look forward to that "YES" reaction when I find the right van. And I will be happy to post pictures. Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #18

Garage
I should point out two more things that are relevant when comparing the V8 and the V10.

1. The V10 has a stronger transmission. If I remember correctly, both diesels also have the same trannie as the V10. That might matter for some use cases, most notably heavy-duty towing.

2. The V10 will be faster up long grades, especially towing.

Again, it all depends on how you use your rig. Each combination represents a set of tradeoffs. Nothing is perfect; just a matter of figuring out which set of tradeoffs will serve you the best.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Bianca :-)
Ready to Rumble!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #19

The V10 came with the 5 speed transmission starting in 2005. Anything prior to 2005, I believe the V10 and V8 shared the same 4 speed transmission.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #20

Garage
I didn't realize that; thanks for the correction.