Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #41

Hey guys, yes, modified SMB. The previous owner didn't like how the SMB stove/cabinet blocked the half door, so he modified it to a hinged arrangement. It works great. He also redid the countertop and covered the old laminate with bamboo.

ADVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #42

Pics of the stove setup, as requested.

Here you go, pretty simple set up really. I will clean it up a bit. It does leave a cut out in the carpet where the cabinet was. But worth it for the easier ingress/egress. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	17235

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	17236

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	17237

Sorry about the upside down/sideways pics, couldn't figure how to rotate them.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #43

Sweet rig! You could sell the Kendon and get a 5x10 trailer and put taller/full size tires on it to gain some ground clearance. Maybe a shorter 8 foot trailer would work better for off pavement.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #44

Hi all, I hope you don't mind my extending this thread, but I searched for answers to my question unsuccessfully, so thought you could direct me. I just got my new rig (7.3) home from Montana, and unfortunately it failed smog here in Grass Valley, California. This is my first diesel so I'm looking for guidance on first things to try to get it to pass the second time without great expense. It failed the visual test as when he punched it, it blew too much black smoke for him to be comfortable passing it. All he was willing to suggest was new injectors, and then he threw a bunch of F bombs about how dirty diesels are. Needless to say I will not be going back to him for the recheck. Will adding Diesel Clean to both tanks and running around over the weekend do anything? What else would you suggest? If it is injectors how much in parts and labor should I expect to be charged if I take it to a good diesel shop to replace some or all of them? I've read on other forums that it is a reasonable DIY project, but quite honestly I don't have the time or possibly the skills to do it myself. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #45
Site Team

Sometimes black smoke is an indicator of a tune or a chip. Check under the dash for chip riding on the PCM connector. If there's a tune, there may not be a good way to check so it might require a trip to a Ford dealer for a reflash if nothing else works.

Give the rig a good, hard, long run before going to the smog check place. At least 45 minutes, and then have it tested as soon as possible so the engine is still hot.

Your plan to run injector cleaner is a good one, and your plan to avoid that place and his clear anti-diesel bias is a great one. Last piece of advice, go on a windy day so the smoke doesn't linger as long for this purely subjective test.

Herb
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #46

I really like the stove design, too, and have been thinking of something very similar to that concept for my van. Where is the propane tank?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
I really like the stove design, too, and have been thinking of something very similar to that concept for my van. Where is the propane tank?
It's in the usual SMB spot on the left side. It has the older style door. You can see the door in the earlier left side pic.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #48

Don't Panic about the black smoke find a competent diesel mechanic first and then panic LOL
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 AM   #49
Site Team

Garage
Check the seals on the up pipes to the turbo and replace with baffled up pipes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #50

Garage
They care about emissions in Montana? Black smoke from a diesel can happen if you slam on the gas.

Id just take it to a mechanic and have them look it over and then find somewhere new to go get it smogged.

Edit - Sorry I havent had my coffer yet so I misread the Cali part.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote