Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Cash in hand...

Hello all, I recently joined the forum primarily as a means to locate and purchase an SMB, specifically an 99-03, 7.3 diesel, 4wd, pop-up, preferably an RB-50 floor plan. I post here as 1) an introduction as a future participant in the community, and 2) a request for finding that elusive configuration that I described. I have cash in hand and can move quickly for an appropriate vehicle, reasonably priced. So if you know of anyone with plans to sell, or perhaps on the fence, please let me know. A bit of background, I'm an active "overlander" and BDR participant switching between Landcruiser platforms and ADV bikes. Really looking forward to transitioning to an SMB! Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you, and then becoming a contributor to a great forum, hopefully sooner than later! Best, Steve.

ADVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

Garage
https://twinfalls.craigslist.org/rvs...220597250.html
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Having the cash in hand definitely helps seal the deal. I've seen a lot of deals fall through as someone looses all sorts of time as they try to get a loan on a very unique vehicle.

Good luck in your search.

Herb
Old 07-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

Nice find. A little sparse on info, but 33,000 miles on an '01?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Thanks Shenrie, exactly the help I am looking for. Sadly, I just heard back from him that it is sold. These things go quick! I am scouring CL via Adloctr and searchtempest, as well as checking the forum, and SMB's site, and RVTrader, but interestingly this one didn't hit my radar. Keep them coming, a free stainless steel growler and a month of refills to the guy or gal that finds me a rig!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

Welcome.

Keep two things in mind:

1. Builders have more fun.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Code1=E350ECON

2. 10 out of 10 V10 owners say V10s are better.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Thanks 86Scotty, some very clean vans and I appreciate the benefits of doing a full build just the way you want it, but I don't have the patience, or honestly the skills to do so. I built up my '97 LX450, but that was bolt on stuff, nothing like a full SMB build. I'm also leaning heavily towards the diesel for mileage and longevity, but if you have a convincing case for gas, I'd certainly listen.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

Na, I completely understand. I prefer the V10 for it's quiet power and virtually no maintenance. The not-so-good gas mileage is a worthwhile trade off for me. The 7.3 is a solid preformer but can cost you more, mostly because most people can't maintain diesels themselves. Just don't go for a 6.0 if you don't want costly repairs, even if it's perfect otherwise. Some here will disagree, of course, but there are too many horror stories.
One thing I will say is that you want to be ready to pay quite a premium for a 7.3 and be ready to act immediately when one pops up. They're getting really scarce. People here will help you find what you want. I like to think we're a decent bunch for that kind of stuff.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #9

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...E350-122282088

Not a 50 floor plan but close otherwise.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #10

More good info, thanks. Yes, avoiding the 6.0. Several out there, and issues may be few and far between, but I'd rather be risk averse when it comes to expensive repairs. I've seen the premium prices, and I've seen several go quick, hence my plea for assistance. Completely agree on the decent bunch, I like what I've read and experienced so far. Cheers!