Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Dispersed camping

Hello! I am new to the forum and have a few questions for you dispersed camping enthusiasts. I am 58 yo and looking to retire in a couple years or work out a deal where I have at least 18 weeks off per year. I have been looking at SMBs for quite some time. Seems every time my wife and I have ever rented a motorhome we have ended up on a dirt road the vehicle can't negotiate so I am very interested in buying a SMB. With respect to dispersed camping ie parking off some dirt road on public land, how safe is it? How many of you have had situations where you were hassled or harassed by some yahoo? I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks. Joel

JOEL2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Done a lot of motorcycle tent camping like you speak of and never had a problem. Been annoyed by others setting up or being noisy nearby but mostly from ignorance not malice.

This is primarily in the Southwest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Hassled, never.
Asked if everthing is ok, a few times.
Told I had a cool setup, a bunch of times.
LEO, never.
On the east coast...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

I almost always camp remote. Never had an issue. Never even a hint of an issue.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #5

What Rally said. I almost never camp in organized camp grounds and I have never had a problem. That doesn't mean I camp where ever I want, but if you don't ignore private property signs or make a huge mess you should be fine.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #6

I call it meeting the "Prime Directive"! Half the reason to have one of these rigs. But organized campgrounds do come with the territory depending on where your going. For example, any of the national or provincial parks in the US or Canada.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

^^^ what those guys said

I've never once had an issue. I've had inconsiderate neighbors, but never any problem with my personal safety.

Past traveling women companions have sometimes been queasily at the thought. Some weren't, at first, comfortable with camping outside of a regular campground.

I've pointed people toward reading about 'boondocking', particularly blogs written by women (lots of them out there), to ease their mostly unfounded fears. That could be good reading for your wife.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

dispersed camping

Thanks for the input. My wife is a camper/back packer etc. but is a bit concerned about the safety issues. Sounds like if you use some common sense, get well off the beaten path the same rules that apply to back country camping apply here ie generally the people that go to trouble to get there are not the types that will give you trouble. My goal is to avoid campgrounds as much as we practically can. I just wish they were still making that F350 diesel van!! The fiberglass F350 cut-away is pretty cool but super pricey. Will probably look for the latest model they made the F350. Gas or diesel is fine. I am really looking forward to it!
JOEL2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Wish I could say no but I've had a couple of incidents. Nothing bad mind you. Mainly dealing with a few hunters walking in to my camp or popping off a couple of rounds at night. I usually make up a base camp and leave from there to go out exploring 4x4 trails and have yet to be ripped off while gone. In the more easily accessible areas is where you might have problems even if it's void of people. I'd say you're much safer in the backcountry as compared to a campground where a typical 2wd car can get to.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #10

Dispersed Campin

Well JoeL, Ya know, dispersed campin is the only way ta go

I've been camping most of my life(65yrs) and you will find most of us campers are respectful folk But you know how it is in this day an age there's NitWit's possible anywhere you go. Ya just gotta be ready for'em Do NOT let it stop you from being a Happy Camper

As for your rent an RV idea, I almost did that too. I have done all kinds of campers. You will love the SMB idea best So versatile

Good Luck to Ya JoeL2125 and Happy campin
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote