Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Engine sounds like the guy who went through it knew what he was doing. Do you know if it was ever dyno'ed? Oh and is it impossible to add an intercooler to a '95?

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishSTile View Post

Possible upgrades if money permits
-Aluminess rear tire carrier and storage
- Dana 60 solid front axle swap to remove Dana 50 TTB
Welcome and congrats on the new van.

There are some of us on this board that have purposely chosen the TTB50 over the Dana 60. Like all conversions, I think it comes down to who did the work. If you have an Agile conversion then you should try to get it dialed in first and see how you like it before deciding on the swap. Might even be worth a ride down to the Agile shop to have them look at it if it doesn't feel right.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #13

What RandallDee said. For sure talk to Agile, even if they didn't do the conversion, which they most likely did, they could get that thing going. If it has fox shocks and stabilizer, it is almost definitely and agile conversion and probably needs a tune up. They are down in El Cajon.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #14

If you don't mind, I've been working on a ttb front end and would love to see pictures of your setup. I have a good idea of exactly what agile does, but if yours is different, I'd like to see other approaches.
bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #15

Garage
Welcome to the forum and nice rig. I've just recently joined as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #16

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

The conversion was not done by Agile. The P.O lived in Tucson and did the conversion himeself. It has a couple of things from agile on it (like the fuel tank) but the front end came out of a 97 F250. The previous owner grafted it in himself. The conversion seems solid, and indeed the van drives very well for a 9800lb rig. It has a couple of small problems:

1: the steering linkages rub near the ball joint that connects them. Something is slightly bent I think
2: the PO told me that the drivers side spring rubs the shock body a bit at full articulation. I cant see evidence of this but he told me it does so I believe him.

RandallDee - What are your preferences for the TTB? I can see articulation and ride quality as its two biggest pluses. My issue with it is the alignment changes constantly as the suspension cycles and in my experience it causes funny tire wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I'm thinking that your van is an Agile Offroad Conversion. You might want to email them on the alignments specs and they might be able to offer you some folks who can take care of it.

Might as well get some aluminum wheels. I couldn't really find too many that had the right weight rating in 17". But I didn't look all that hard. 17x8.5 is about perfect, I ended up with 17x9 and they are rated for 3400 lbs each. You might find some 17x8 OEM aluminum forged, but nobody is giving those away.
The steel black rocks have a 3650lb weight rating and are $90 apiece. I have stupid expensive wheels and tires on my truck and it just was not worth it. I want to go as cheap and sturdy as possible on the van because its just ONE MORE vehicle I have to put tires, brakes etc on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I just realized what seemed so different about your van. It's very rare to see a large fixed top like yours on a passenger (window) van.
Herb
I like it...my wife not so much. When I was a child my parents had a camper. It was custom built by my grandfather ages go and put on a late 50's f100 with a walk through to the cab. Anyway it had a cabover with forward windows and my sister and I would ride up there looking out the windows. I am stoked for my kids to have a similar experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Reading is hard.
No, just time consuming. I got a little carried away with my intro, chalk it up to me being excited about the van

I might put a call into Agile, they are close to me and having someone go through it who is familiar with dana50 TTB's on E-Vans is probably a good investment.
swedishSTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaine View Post
If you don't mind, I've been working on a ttb front end and would love to see pictures of your setup. I have a good idea of exactly what agile does, but if yours is different, I'd like to see other approaches.
Will do. Its pretty gloomy and rainy where I am right now but once the weather clears I will take some pictures for your and other general interest. The P.O. welded some things that I would have bolted.

My van does have the Agile RIP kit (shocks, front springs, steering damper) but the rest is home built DIY.
swedishSTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #18

I paid 125 a piece for my Pro Comp 69 series. That's a pretty nice price for a machined wheel. But I do like those black rocks and you can't beat 90 bucks for a 3600 lb wheel.

I would for sure take it down to Agile or at least call em up and see what they think. I am picking up my 2013 EB from them on Monday all fitted with a shiny new Dana 50 TTB.

And don't despair yet. Many folks on here have had to tweak their Quigleys, Quadvan, etc. You're lucky in that Agile knows the TTB better than any other converter, it's their specialty.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #19

Cool vehicle. I used these in my paratransit business. I prefer the hightop even though I have a penthouse. My wife thought the penthouse would be better but she would probably go hightop next time. Extra full time storage, not bending over to get in and out, all pluses for us older folk.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #20

Garage
Looks like a sweet rig to start with, I too have had a penthouse top and now recently got a hightop and love all the extra storage and full time stand up height it provides. Probably would never want to go back to a pop top. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, seems like an interesting home build. Gotta love having no emissions, mine is a 96 so I am also exempt here I Utah.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote