Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Greetings from clueless newbie

Hi, my name is Bill, I live in Nashville, I want a B van but cannot find what I want from a manufacturer so I'm exploring the idea of a custom Sportsmobile. I have some definite wants that will probably prove to be unworkable, but I'm here to find out what is possible.

Long ago my wife and I camped in a Volkswagen Bus, not a camper, just no middle seats, bed pad, ice chest, Coleman stove, etc. We had a blast. Now it's retirement time and we are past roughing it but would like to enjoy traveling in a small camper van with some creature comforts. I hope to pick the brains of this crowd and I'll try not to be a nuisance!

BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #2

Oh yes, most of my questions will concern the Promaster platform. Which forum should I post in?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Oh yes, most of my questions will concern the Promaster platform. Which forum should I post in?
First off, welcome,

Second, regarding Promaster questions, please post them in the General Sportsmobile section. Honestly, there are very few of them, and fewer owners or prospective owners on this site so a sub-forum was never created for that vehicle.

Herb
Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #4

Thanks Herb, first question coming up.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome, BillE. I've been on this forum for a long time and I'm still clueless. Fortunately, there are some very good people on here who do have a clue and they're always willing to share their knowledge with others. So ask away!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #6

Welcome bill,newbie myself but if I had any advice would be to go to rv dealerships drive/walkthrough several different manufactures/models so you can see the things you like/dislike an apply to your project!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and yes Zappo, touring RV lots is where we started. That can be a shock, not only the prices, but what crap is being sold for such high prices. Mainly we kept finding that all standard offerings have a lot that we do not want.
I'll never shower inside a van, do any more cooking than heating something simple in a single pot (real cooking is does outside), I do not want inside propane, 3-way fridge, black tanks, carpet on floors, etc. And what we DO want does not seem to be a priority for the market, which is simple comfort. I need hot coffee and cold beer. If it's a sofa or chair, it needs to be a comfy chair or get it out of there! Same for the bed. I can't sleep on cheap foam over plywood. I'll take less "stuff", but better stuff, if I can get it. I'm here to find out if I can.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Site Team

A Transformer style model might suit your uses since they are fairly minimal inside (small galley module with sink, small water tank, microwave and inverter), but they're fairly rare.

Good luck with your search.

Herb
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #9

Welcome Bill, I'm over near Knoxville. You are among the proud few in the south with any interest in camper vans. I'm the other guy.

As stated above, your needs are few and really kinda unusual in this area. I think most who want something similar just build it. Use a real mattress, put only what you need in the small space and don't junk it up with stuff you don't. I'm with you.

I vote for a Promaster section AND a Transit section. The forum needs to catch up on that IMO since it's been more of a camper van forum than just a Sportsmobile (brand) forum for years now.

Join in the conversation and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions, though a lot can be learned using the search function.

Welcome aboard!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote