Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

hello from noob

Hello everyone,

Thought I would introduce myself here. I'm been long time lurker since last year and just like many, I couldn't hold out any longer. I guess once you are bitten by van bug, there is no cure. (not that I need cure)

Even though I wasn't ready to pull the trigger I have been scouting the internet for used E-series van, Express, and Sprinter van for many months.

I'm pretty much set on getting E-series but still open minded on others (why can't I just make up my mind!), sportsmobile poptop and then finally Agile 4x4 at some point. Interior will probably be done by me. Nothing fancy, just simple stuff first to get ready for camping season as soon as possible.

I read many threads about choosing the right van and really appreciate the wisdom people share here. But I soon realized reading and actually experiencing is a too very different thing. For an example, I think I wanted E350 EB 7.3 in my mind but as of right now I'm not so sure I would feel the same way after getting it. I guess that's part of being a noob. For me, even b/n RB and EB is big question I guess. The only way for me to found out is actually driving the van and get acquainted, so it's either test drive at the dealer or rent the van, drive daily to see if it's for me. Oh yeah, it would be really cool to drive converted van daily to work but parking might be an issue since outdoor parking space is limited where I work.

Anyway, thanks all for the wisdom and wealth of info shared here! l dream of starting build thread sooner than later.

vivarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

I am working on a home build EB 7.3 with a Ujoint leaf conversion. I live in Seattle so if you want to drive and look at a EB let me know.

Welcome
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

I went a similar route as you are going and this board and all the good folks here helped me a lot. I ended up with a V10 Window van converted to 4x4 by Agile and a Pop Top by SMB. Keep in mind there are waiting lists for both conversions.

Check out all your options such as CCV for pop tops and Ujoint and Expovans for 4x4 conversions as well. All are top notch products, just a little different.

As far as Extended vs Regular, it's really a matter if you want the extra space or not. I have kids, so an EB is a no brainer. It's about 20 extra inches long, but it makes a difference in how you lay it out.

Without reviving the Diesel vs Gasser debate, suffice to say that any of these motors can be made to work well and it really depends on the cash you want to spend. The 5.4l being the least powerful but most available can do great with a tuner and the right gearing. Your engine choice should really depend on your intended use. If you tow a lot, then you may want the bigger engine. A gasser for your daily driver might be better, just depends on what you can find and what you really want.

I own a 6.0l diesel truck....I love it. I bought a V10 van....I love it and it loves gas stations, so we compromise. Just got a tuner and can't wait to see how it goes.

Hit me up if you have any questions. Everyone has different preferences and needs so do your research and look at vans constantly. It will dawn on you.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
I am working on a home build EB 7.3 with a Ujoint leaf conversion. I live in Seattle so if you want to drive and look at a EB let me know.

Welcome
Thanks so much for the offer Nrobert10! I really appreciate it, will send you the PM!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I went a similar route as you are going and this board and all the good folks here helped me a lot. I ended up with a V10 Window van converted to 4x4 by Agile and a Pop Top by SMB. Keep in mind there are waiting lists for both conversions.
Flux, I really appreciate your insight! It really helps with narrowing my decision!
Also really dig your GAATMHQ build thread and "yes" definitely will ask questions when it's my time to build. Most likely I'll follow your design decision from your build thread.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivarice View Post
Flux, I really appreciate your insight! It really helps with narrowing my decision!
Also really dig your GAATMHQ build thread and "yes" definitely will ask questions when it's my time to build. Most likely I'll follow your design decision from your build thread.

That's flattering and I appreciate it, but check out all the build threads and page through people's photo albums. You will get a ton of ideas that way. If anyone offers you a tour of their van, jump on it. Most of my ideas are recycled and emulated from other people's stuff. But I still have to do it. Good luck and can't wait to see the base van you pick up!