Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Hello, I am kid poor.

I recently got a 2006 E-250 from work, 113K, no mechanical issues, hole above the exhaust, left side door sticks. I also have a 2014 E-250 for work. I rattle canned it black.

I don't have a welder, or a garage, but I do my own oil changes, brakes, starters, alternators, and other simple stuff even if it means laying in the mud. I know a good deal about electronics/electrical but not anything specific to vehicles. I have a small work shed and am resisting the urge to fill my new van with tools. I am the drain snaking guy for a large residential Plumbing/HVAC company. I am going for a heating license but end up doing tons of plumbing. I have 3 kids, luckily we got a house about 2years ago. Before that we were in a 2 bedroom apartment, with 3 kids!!! It was nuts.

My aspirations for this van are:
-Bench seat(s) in the back for the kids
-Brush guard(s) I want to have the front one removable on plow mounts
-Tow a pop up camper we will hopefully be getting
-Install 12,500lb winch I had bought for my cavalier(it's a long sad story)
-TIRES!!!! I want some treadwright retreads
-If I get my #1 wish, 4wd, but I doubt it.

skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

Pic of the new(to me) van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0278.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

I didn't see a question... but good luck getting the van to meet your dreams.
Do a bunch of reading on this forum and others and maybe it will help you to make better or different decisions.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I also have a 2014 E-250 for work. I rattle canned it black.I.
Wait....... You spray painted a 2014?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Wait....... You spray painted a 2014?
lolz, no. sorry I worded that badly. I sprayed the 2006. it had some rust above the tailpipe, bottom of side door, and one or two other lower edges. I mainly did it because it was easier than removing the old company lettering.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #6

Garage
Welcome and best wishes/much success getting your van how you want it. As Bbasso said and I'm sure you have seen, there is a lot of info on this forum.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #7

I realize now that this forum is for a particular kind of conversion van modified by a particular company. If it's cool that I post my e-250 and the (probably grungy) things I do to it that would be cool too.

Well I can cross the first item off my list of wishes at the junk yard right now, waiting for the boss to get back. Brought some scrap to trade for bench seats. At first it looked bleak, just a couple double seats with one integrated belt. Lo and behold they have a newer e-350 modified into a transit bus. 10 double seats with lap belts!!!! Took me about an hour to unbolt and carry them all out.

The boss and I agreed on me taking 4 doubles and the brackets from four others as one side was mounted to the wall of the bus. I am waiting for him to get back from lunch to see if I can just take all the seats. They are "Freedman seating" brand and are mounted to unistrut frames which were bolted to unistrut on the floor and walls. They will be going in my e-250 basically the same way, not sure if one side will be wall or both floor mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0308.jpg  
Old 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #8

200$+ ~300$ worth of scrap and I got them all!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Congrats!

Keep an eye out at the wrecking yards. Lots of conversion vans have god parts, even though they mostly had poor build quality. But seats, table, even high-roofs are stuff you could re-purpose. If you are patient, you could probably snag some nice rear windows too.

Since you have kids, I definitely recommend trying to find a rear A/C unit. Most conversion vans used aftermarket A/C which will be a little easier to take apart and transfer than factory A/C. Just plan on replacing the expansion-valve or orifice tube, doing a full flush before connecting to your front system, and adding enough oil for the larger system.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Well I aint looking to do a high top unless I get some free ladder racks that would fit over it. The ac in it works really good, I figure I will just insulate it.

So get this, I am at the junkyard and one of my old shool buddies is there too, says the mechanics shop he works at has a converion van sitting with a rotted frame they use for storage. The engine/drivetrain only has 68k on it and it has a quigley 4x4 conversion! Now it's an e-350 5.4l and I have the 4.6l, my buddy thinks it will fit, any thoughts?