Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #1

Hello van heads

Hi all,

I live in SoCal and my girlfriend and I are planning on acquiring an E series to convert into a redneck RV. Just wanted to say hello!

We have our eye on a 2004 E350 12 pass. w/ the 5.4 in Burgundy. It has 102xxx miles and many nice options. The price seems right, at $6.4k. Can y'all weigh in? Seem like a solid buy and starting point?

Thanks!

space_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #2

Redneck RV? I'm picturing something like this.

What you describe sounds like a decent van. You can make it much better than redneck unless that is your goal, but a good first step around here is not to describe a camper van as a redneck RV if you'd like help. Post a link or pics if you want a little more info.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #3

Haha no the junk levels on that thing are a little too high for me. Here's what I found:
2004 Ford e350 van 102,xxx

My primary mission is to take road/camping/hunting trips with my girlfriend and my two dogs, which may involve driving off-road on mild to moderate BLM and forest roads, and use the vehicle as a base camp. Secondary mission is to use the van to haul cargo. I’m not really interested in stuffing it full of a sink and toilet and stove; I’m more looking at it as a better tent, with maybe a medium water tank and a secondary battery, but otherwise mostly a sleeping area. This also means that I can remove or stow the camping gear and still use it to haul stuff.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Seems like a pretty good deal for that van if it's as clean as it looks. Not sure if you're planning on lifting it, but with a slider you're going to need an extension to clear bigger tires.

But yeah, no need to call it a "redneck RV" considering some of the rigs on this forum go for six figures.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

Oh good point about the slider. I was planning on lifting it.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

I can open my slider all the way with the slightest contact made with 285/70 r17's... no spacers btw.
Highball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #7

Have always liked that color. Van looks clean. You may want to take it to a dealer and have it checked over before closing the deal. The cost is usually around $200 and well worth it if they find some major issues. The issues also give you negotiationing points.

Good luck with the build.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_van View Post
I’m not really interested in stuffing it full of a sink and toilet and stove; I’m more looking at it as a better tent, with maybe a medium water tank and a secondary battery, but otherwise mostly a sleeping area.
Ha! How many times have I heard that! Just remember it's a slippery slope with these things. They tend to fill up with bling, especially the more time you spend getting ideas on this forum.

Nice van. It looks like a good candidate except for the side sliding door. Some people like these but the barn doors are easier to open, QUIETER to open, and they never go off track, which can be a major pain to fix, and it does happen. Also keep in mind that your lady friend/kids/anyone that's not a bit manly may have trouble with the slider.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Ha! How many times have I heard that! Just remember it's a slippery slope with these things.
Ha! That's how I wound up with my rig. I've owned VW bus campers, cabover campers, various sizes over the years, but got rid of all that stuff 15yrs ago.

Then, I a few years ago, camped a few times out of a Toyota Sienna mini-van, on an air mattress. One night it was 20deg. I've camped in the cold before, but never on an air bed. Do you know how cold an air mattress feels at 20deg? Turns out your body smashes down the down sleeping bag, and offers almost no insulation between your body and the now 20deg air inside the air bed. Jeez...
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote