Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Hi guys and girls

Good afternoon, I’m looking to do more road trips this winter to get away from the New England weather. My wife and I were thinking of redoing the interior of our 2006 e350 quigly . I’ve lurked for a bit, so I just wanted to say thanks for those that have posted great info and the Mods here on this forum.
Cheers Vice

Vice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #2

Garage
Good to have you join, Welcome.

Discovering Talent to work on builds in the East Coast is difficult. If you do find a Shop that does quality work please post for others.

For your interior build, There is one in your neck of the woods...
http://www.awolrigs.com/
***No affiliation
Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #3

Garage
Welcome. Lots of information here as you mentioned. +1 on TwoXentrix comments.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #4

Welcome! I live north of Boston and agree with above that good van resources are scarce around here. I do plan to check out AWOL in Maine sometime. I met a guy nearby who specializes in schoolies. But I haven't seen an actual finished bus done by him. Like others, I benefit from the wealth of information shared on this site. My interior is simple and evolving. It's a slow build due to lack of time....
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions sorry for not responding sooner, my poor wife lost three family members right after posting so I’ve not had much time other than damage control. Time to start working on the van! We were hoping to be out of here by now but better late... we plan on doing all the work myself. I’d rather be riding my mountain bike but I do enjoy working on things like thins. I’ve done three other van conversions in the pass. I’m not a mechanic but I end up doing most of the repairs on our personal vehicles and work trucks. I’ve been in construction my whole life. I mainly do sprayfoam insulation and roofing as well as industrial coatings like garage floors and tanks with polyurea(bedliner) so I plan on incorporating them in this build. My FICM just went on 6.0 in my e350, thought it was not starting good because it sat for a week or two in the cold but it was a low voltage in the FICM, took it out and resoldered it, and working great now. Hopefully I’ll be stripping the van and sound proofing it next week with dyno mate and closed cell sprayfoam. I need to find some door gasket. The wind noise is worse then the motor. I hope I can get it close to the same as my 6.7 but that might not be realistic?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice View Post
... The wind noise is worse then the motor. I hope I can get it close to the same as my 6.7 but that might not be realistic?

Do you know where the wind noise is coming from? Door seals, roof rack/bars? There are some solutions to those areas that will at least help.

Herb
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Do you know where the wind noise is coming from? Door seals, roof rack/bars? There are some solutions to those areas that will at least help.

Herb
Hay herb, there’s definitely lots of air coming from the top of the door where it transitions from flat to forward angle above the window. I’ve sprayed a few dozen vans with high density closed cell foam. The last one I did for my self I sprayed after a job I needed to switch from closed cell to open and I didn’t feel like pumping it back into the drum so I sprayed my stripped interior. I sprayed 1” on the walls and roof and 1/2 “ on the floor. It made a huge difference with sound. I ran out of time, I wanted to spay a few inches under the floor and the hit the whole body with bedliner. But they started salting the roads and this van came from California and never seen a winter or salt. It’s amazing how much a thin layer can help with vibration and noise. But I really want to cut back on noises all around, I work around noisy diesel equipment a lot, don’t want to hear a motor days on end if I can help it, even though my wife drives it more than me and doesn’t thinks it’s bad. So I’m going to fill a lot of the supporting studs with foam, and try wrap with dyno mate everything in the front hood doors, doghouse, floor. I wanted to do some kind of polyurea or polyaspartic on the floor for ease of cleaning but I think I’ll carpet it with a mat under. Something not smooth on the walls and ceiling would also help but not a huge fan of carpet. I’m very open to ideas on noise reduction. The 6.0 motor has had a ton of work and I’ve got to say I’m over all impressed with it compared to the 7.3 in an other e350 and other diesel motors. I’ve had Cats that I liked and dis liked. The 6.4 had lots of problems, the 6.7 I have in one of my f550s has been great, tons of power and very quiet, not very good fuel efficiency but I work it hard! I’m doing differential service on the van tomorrow and try to find out why there is some Steering wheel on the highway over 70. I had it on one of my other e350s
Old 01-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #8

I get lots of wind noise from the drivers door if the seals are not perfectly in place, but since I run a couple small coax cables under the seal, it tends to come loose all the time. I'm in the habit of pushing it back in place pretty much every time I get in. If I don't, it's quickly obvious, so checking to see that your seals are in good condition, and perfectly in place could help.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I get lots of wind noise from the drivers door if the seals are not perfectly in place, but since I run a couple small coax cables under the seal, it tends to come loose all the time. I'm in the habit of pushing it back in place pretty much every time I get in. If I don't, it's quickly obvious, so checking to see that your seals are in good condition, and perfectly in place could help.
The gaskets are pretty flat. I did see a video of a guy that stuffed surgical tubing inside the the gasket to plump it up which I’d try but it’s kind of torn by the step so I think I’ll just get new ones. One one of my other vans the gaskets would always stick to the body in the winter. I think they were cleaned with some kind of solvent and would absorb water and freeze and then stick. I had to buy new ones
Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #10

My 2008 driver door also has the same issue where the flat transitions to the sloped A pillar. It's quite noticeable when driving in a crosswind, the body flexes enough to stick your fingers in the gap.

On smooth roads without side winds it's sealed though.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote