Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

New gal on the block.

Hello All,

I am in the process of picking a SMB office and I seem to understand what they all do in common. Has anyone posted what each one does differently? Cassette toilet vs no, different fabrics, cabinets, refrigerator switch outs, fan choices etc... I’ve been searching the forum and can’t find what I’m looking for.

AThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

New gal on the block.

For pop-up roofs, I don’t think any of the locations will do roof vents. (Edited: I see from another post that you are doing a high roof van so that’s a moot point.)

I’d suggest you put a list together of what you want and email it to each of the locations to see if they will do it or not. That way you have the most up to date info from the primary sources, rather than trying to crowdsource it. Then post what you found back here! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

Brian W, That’s actually a really good idea. Not sure why that didn’t occur to me.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Which is closer to you? I’d start there first and if they will do what you want then use them. Nice to be able to somewhat easily go back for follow-up work if needed.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
First off WELCOME!! Half the battle is just getting started, then the PATIENCE of delivery, and then PURE enjoyment!!! Best advice EVER (Thanks DaveB, Scotty) is look at the 'search' feature on the page and put in your question...up will pop up many options/posts/threads to choose from/explore. This specific topic as the "Which SMB (Sportsmobile) shop?" is WELL documented....and as you will see/recognize many senior members giving their thoughts and experiences...we all have our favorites and why...We are in Iowa and chose SMB North for location and when we visited were sold...but you'll read that story/post on those threads...good luck and get started ASAP if possible...I have read there is a sixteen month wait...GOOD LUCK!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #6

Welcome, you didn't really specify whether you are looking for a new or used Sportsmobile but I'm guessing used since you didn't just contact a Sportsmobile location first. The answer to your first question is that all of them are custom builds. There is no standard layout or 'spec' design. There are minor variations in materials, appliances and the like from different locations but most are very similar or the same. It's almost easier to tell the differences by the year.

Let us know what your end goal is here. Type and size of van, just office or full camper, new or used and you'll get a lot more info.

If you are new to vans, camping or RVs I would recommend you rent one or buy used first and really get to know what your needs and layout are. Any new Sportsmobile is a big time commitment and probably a minimum of $75k nowadays and that would be a fairly basic one.

All that said we need more info.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThompson View Post
Hello All,

I am in the process of picking a SMB office and I seem to understand what they all do in common. Has anyone posted what each one does differently? Cassette toilet vs no, different fabrics, cabinets, refrigerator switch outs, fan choices etc... I’ve been searching the forum and can’t find what I’m looking for.
Good to see new-comers soliciting wisdom on this site - you'll encounter a lot of extremely helpful and knowledgeable individuals (I'm not one, but the group here certainly has contributed to my education).
Couple very nice pre-owned vans currently available; good part is for the price you"ll probably end out with more appointments, and then upgrade as you desire.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-20754.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-20706.html
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #8

I am looking for a new 170 EB. 4x4 maybe. I want a double platform bed in the back with flares, a small bath and galley, 2 additional captains chairs and a cassette toilet in the bath. I have spoken with Will at Fresno, who I like, but I just found out they won’t do cassette toilets. I thought I’d call Austin also as it seems they do install cassette toilets. I guess I just don’t know which office will or won’t do certain builds as it isn’t clear on the web site. Plus, it is really hard to get responses very quickly. I know they are busy, just makes it hard to decide when I feel like I am working in the dark.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

Austin offered the cassette option when my 2016 was built there.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #10

After you read awhile you may decide, as many of us have, that cassette toilets are overkill. Porta pottys, contrary to what some say, do not stink or have any bad habits if they are cared for. The added bonus is that you can pull them completely during winter or any other time you want to remove them.

It's kind of spectacular to park on a lonely mountain top and put your porta potty on the roof of the van, climb up and have your morning coffee and........well......what am I saying. I don't know anything about this.

AThompson, you'll find that we have potty mouths, enjoy potty humor and hell, we even have an emoticon for this!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote