Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

New guy from Nevada

Just introducing myself. I don't currently own a SMB but hope to someday... So I may be asking some questions, I will search first of course!

Currently I have a 2006 dodge dually 4x4 diesel with a arctic fox camper for the road/mild trips and a 2001 double cab Tacoma with a RTT for the more 4x4/wild trips. I'm considering selling the truck camper and Tacoma to pick up a 7.3 4x4 EB SMB (I know good luck finding one...). I used to own a 2001 superduty with the 7.3 and it's a great motor! It would be nice to have just 1 adventure/camping rig instead of 2 and I feel it would be a nice compromise.

My first question is what are some of the more difficult 4x4 trails you guys have taken your SMB's thru?

Thanks, John

John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

And because everyone likes pictures. Here's a couple of the current setups.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

Welcome.

Not me, but here's a good start: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ad.php?t=16269
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Oy fellow vegas
Old 12-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome John. I, too, am in Las Vegas. Welcome to the Forum!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Welcome John!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Welcome. Wish you luck on your search. Looks like an SMB would be right in the middle trail wise compared to your current two vehicles. I think weight has a lot to do with a vans 4x4 capability. Mine is heavy but you can see where I take it by going to my web site. I also suggest you look at the sections with trip reports on this forum. My concern is getting pulled out of the area if broke down. Still the luxury of the inside conversion is awesome as a camping vehicle.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
My first question is what are some of the more difficult 4x4 trails you guys have taken your SMB's thru?
I've got a 4x4 w/modest 4" lift and 33" tires, extended length, high roof. I've gotten back into some remote desert locations, over some 10" rocks and 15" deep crevices. I've also had to give up on a pretty gnarly trail in Mojave and turn around. I keep thinking I'll get down Lippencott Mine Rd with my van one day, just to say I did it. I don't see any reason why I couldn't do it, with the right spotter and some patience.

I've been out on Pismo Beach, south past the 3 mile mark on the beach road and inland to camp thru some soft stuff.

In my mind, the biggest considerations for moderate off roading these vans, is the weight, the width, and what happens if I pinstrip the side of my van with sagebrush, or push in a lower rocker panel on a boulder that I just can't drive around? Would that bother me? Something to consider. Also, what happens if I get stuck, am i prepared to jack, dig, winch, get a tow and consider it "all part of the adventure"?

My impression is most guys with a newer SMB wouldn't tolerate abusing their investment like I might. Forget Lippencott Mine Rd. But my '95 is older, I'm only into is like $20G's.

Unlike when I was a younger man (and cared about aesthetics of my, ahem, investment) , I'm frankly not so worried about how The Beast's exterior looks. A little battle worn is ok for me. As a result, I'll be more adventurous than some I suppose. But maybe that's just me.
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum!
JohnWeddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #10

Well the arctic fox truck camper is sold no luck with the Tacoma yet.

I'm hoping to check out some SMB's at expo west in May. Anyone from here going?