Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #11

Re: New here...floorplan ideas welcome!

Kzinti2's post made me think: Quigley or other lower profile 4x4, skip the Aluminess on both ends. You'll fit in better "around town" and not draw the attention so much.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #12

Hey, thanks for the detailed responses. Really helps me a lot.
2006 Porsche Carrera S
2012 E250 Sportsmobile(ish) - in process
johnamullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #13

Would an GM based AWD van be too light? The van itself would lend itself perfectly to the DD application and for ski/snow use. The trailer load isn't too heavy and it seems that if the build is done right it should have adequate capacity. If you're planning on having hookups most of the time then you wouldn't need a monster water tank to weigh you down and take up room either.

Not sure if it is a good comparison, but the AWD setting in my 1/2 ton chevy work truck works great for getting around when the roads are slippery - no drivetrain binding and no thinking about having to switch in and out of 4wd.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Kzinti2's post made me think: Quigley or other lower profile 4x4, skip the Aluminess on both ends. You'll fit in better "around town" and not draw the attention so much.
Got to agree there. It is a beacon in the day or night. I've noticed more eyes fix first on the bumpers, than the van. It's also shorter to park W/O those bumpers.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Would an GM based AWD van be too light?
Its a very good thought. I pull a Trailex 7541 open aluminium trailer that only weighs 850lbs, and the Lotus is about 2000lbs, so tow capacity isn't a big deal (pull it with an MDX "Soccer Mom Special" now). 5000lbs tow capacity is enough even if I loan the rig to a buddy with heavier car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The big 4x4 SMBs with Aluminess look fantastic, but I may have to succumb to practicality living in a dense urban area and needing to park on the street or in the garage. I don't even have a driveway; two car garage opens directly on to an alley with no parking allowed.

Kzinti2: good stuff! I will look at the RB16 and 21 plans.
2006 Porsche Carrera S
Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #16

I have the RB50 and we are a family of 4. If i was to do it again I would not do the 50 again (best layout for 2 people). The main reason is the back bench seat doesn't have proper safety restraints for the kids. No head rest and only one shoulder belt. I would do the 4 captains chairs and the rest behind that would be cabinets and gaucho etc. Get a heater for the snow. Solar is good. I would also recommend to stay away from the aluminess bumpers since those on my rig by far attract most the attention. Yes the look great but for a more lower profile and easier parking skip them.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #17

Sportsmobile currently offers flares for the Mercedes Sprinter only but we are working on a second model for SMB customers, which will fit ALL Chevy and Ford vans... if you have time to wait, sleeping sideways might be a good option for you. We hope to bring a demo van down in April.
Thanks,
Flarespace
Flarespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #18

I chose the 50 plan with kids in mind. If we were unfortunate enough to get into an accident my worry is the effects of sudden high mechanism lateral deceleration both on car seats, safetly constraints and the force on a child's body. It would seem similiar to being t-boned by a semitruck doing 70 mph. I would be surprised if the kids survived.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #19

Just bought a base van new build thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11239
2006 Porsche Carrera S
Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #20

hi John -

short answer on the question regarding solar power panel being worth it ... I say yes. And all you need is one panel most likely.

Longer answer:
I have one panel and the extra deep cycle heavy duty battery. Just one battery bec i'm by myself and don't use megawatts at night. You may not really need a solar panel but you definitely need the extra battery, IMO. The solar panel servers one main function - to charge your batteries during the day when you aren't running the engine bec you aren't driving. The secondary purpose is to provide power during the day if you are running a bunch of electronics. That is rarely the case with anyone.

The main reason you get extra batteries is so you can run stuff for hours at night ... lights, computer, DVD player, fan, phone chargers, inverter, ... with intermittent peak power usage of a MW. Solar is doing nothing for you at night ... it's your batteries. Solar just lets you charge them up during the day. I think one panel is enough. That's what I have.

I calculated how many solar panels I needed by making assumptions on what devices would be on and how long, and then estimating my average and peak average loads and necessary current needed to provide that power. Then, using the solar panel spec sheet you know the current it can provide, both peak and average. You have to derate that based on the sun and the angle, etc etc etc ... in other words, the solar panel current output has to be derated. This helps you figure out 2 things:

1. During the day, how much power can the solar panel provide before I start consuming energy from the batteries.
2. How much current can the solar provide in the day to charge my batteries up after using them all night. More current means faster charge-up.

I think number 2 is much more applicable to most of us than number 1. Hence, I bet one panel is all you will need to charge your household batteries. You can always add another panel.

I have a 2010 RB E350 Ford with the "50 package", 4x4, etc.
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote