Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

New in CO / Help

Just picked up a 2005 E350 Diesel 6.0 Sportsmobile after years of daydreaming.

It's super clean and obviously well cared for. However the widow I purchased it from knew very little about how anything worked and I know even less.

Had a fun learning experience in her driveway when we got the power top up but could not get it down. After about an hour of head scratching I ran jumper cables from engine battery to the big marine battery and that worked.

Regardless I am facing a dash of switches and buttons and controls that I have no idea what they are. Or finding the things I can't find. 12v cut off switch anyone?

Looking for any insight on figuring this stuff out and helping to fix the little things that need some love.

I've added some photos.
Any ideas on toggle under the dash?

Green light and correlating switch?

The seller called the device on dash a "Chili Dog" and said it regulates temperature but I have no clue. Could this by why my AC won't work

Also looking for insight on how top read the voltage meeter. It seems a little all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5198.jpg   IMG_5197.jpg   IMG_5202.jpg   IMG_5196.jpg  

Bdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #2

And thank you!

Thanks in advance
B
Old 11-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome.

Toggle switch could be a valet switch for the alarm.

If I recall correctly, the Chili Dog will run the vehicle AC (engine running?) based on the vehicle temperature. Great for pets left in the vehicle.

The voltage gauge should be displaying the house battery voltage, and the available current from the solar panel(s).

The rocker switches on the dash panel look like SMB installed switches for auxiliary lighting (typically bumper or roof mounted).

Good luck on your investigation.

Herb
Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

Welcome!

From one 6.0 owner to another have in your mind that any device that can idle the engine when parked (Running the A/C, charging controllers, or anti freeze controllers) can cause major problems specific to the 6.0. Vans that have these type of controllers will be more likely to have idled more. I don't mean to scare you but on a van that has one of these I would look at the list of 6.0L improvement mods that have been done and maybe pull the EGR valve (not a small job but no big deal if you've done one before) to get an idea of what soot is in there and if it's been idled a lot. One way folks limit the issues with idling a 6.0 is a High Idle switch which raises the rpm up and limits coking of the intake and turbo. Could one of the dash switches be a high idle switch? To test you will need to set parking brake, foot off the brake peddle, obviously be in park with motor running and flip each switch give it a minute for idle rpm to increase.

Just some thoughts.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

Thank you,
Yes I think on the right side I have a high idle installed by Sportsmoibile.

Any insight on 12v cutoff switch? No idea where this is. looking through manual it shows pictures of something I just don't have mounted in cab.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Diesel experts will no doubt jump in...

Photo #3 looks like a solar panel charge controller (I assume you have panels on the roof?)

Photo 4 or 1 could be a "jump start" switch that allows your house batteries to temporarily connect with the starting battery to start the van if needed (dead van battery). Usually this will be a momentary switch (i.e., you have to hold it on). It's kind of the opposite of a cutoff switch.

Did you get any SMB literature with it? Often there will be a schematic provided, which can at least get you started.

The "Chilly Dog" is an A/C control that will automatically start up the van and run the A/C if the inside temp gets too hot, and then shut it off again. Like an automatic remote start system. They install these a lot in police K9 vehicles. It should have an interface box that wires into your van's wiring harness somewhere. If you don't need it I bet you could pull it and sell it on Ebay pretty easily.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

Garage
One of the toggles could be for the Air compressor - if you have one. Green light on mine illuminates when the transfer case is engaged.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

Congrats on your new rig!!

Are you on the front range or western slope?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

In Mountains Vail

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
Congrats on your new rig!!

Are you on the front range or western slope?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #10

So while idling the truck for about 30 minutes with the high idle switch my truck died and now main battery won't start? Could I have fried the alternator? head scratching

any ideas on starting truck again?