Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

New member, new van…new to this whole experience!

Hi there! Long-time car enthusiast (a dozen VWs, followed by an intense Volvo phase—which I'm still in), who has decided that family road trips/adventures would be easier and more fun in an giant van than our 100-series Land Cruiser. Plus, the TLC can't tow worth a flip.

So, after a few months of looking, I found a one-owner 2001 XLT EB passenger van in Toreador Red with the V10…and only 71K miles! It had all services done at the dealer, including oil changes. It's got some minor body damage, and some permanent paint damage where the vinyl letters demarking it's church affiliation baked on for 18+ years. Overall, I think it's going to be a very solid platform to do a minor build on.

Plans include a mild lift and all-terrain tires, fender flares, rear ladder and a homebrew roof platform, some sound deadening and insulation, some interior creature comforts, and hopefully swap out the four rows of seats for 2–3 rows of Transit seats (my kids are convinced they each need their own ROW ). Seriously considering getting some color-matched Monstaliner and painting the whole thing (sans door jams/etc.) if I can't wet sand/compound/polish the letters off. We shall see!

Either way, I'm super excited about this new chapter. Grew up cruising around in combi van and an air-cooled Vanagon…but this is a big change for us. I've been lurking around this forum for the past few months as I've been looking…and decided that last week's purchase warranted joining. Glad to be here!

Sigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

Garage
Congrats and welcome.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Welcome! I also have a bit of a Volvo affliction. A crusty 1973 1800ES restoration project.

One of the reasons I am building a van RV is I want something that can tow an enclosed car trailer for when I want to take one of my toy cars to a show or something.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Welcome! I also have a bit of a Volvo affliction. A crusty 1973 1800ES restoration project.

One of the reasons I am building a van RV is I want something that can tow an enclosed car trailer for when I want to take one of my toy cars to a show or something.

Nice! I love the 1800ES! It's such an iconic, quirky design. I had a collector-quality 244 (with a factory M47 transmission) that I ended up selling on bringatrailer.com…but most of my Volvos have been newer (P80 or P2) wagons…all with manual transmissions. They're great cars.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Monstaliner is a great product. I have applied it on 4 vans now and it works great. Looking forward to what you do.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Monstaliner is a great product. I have applied it on 4 vans now and it works great. Looking forward to what you do.

Oh wow! Is there a place I could see some pictures of any of these? There have been a ton of people on ih8mud.com (Land Cruiser forums) who I have seen Monstaliner their rigs…but I'd love to see a van or two…
Old 11-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #7

scvans.com has pictures of most of them.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
scvans.com has pictures of most of them.

Thanks! Looks like a cool thing you have going there…
Old 11-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #9

Toreador Red! Nice!! Sometime between the early 2000s and 2008 they went to dark toreador red.

My 2008 is Dark Toreador red......this and the bright red are my two favs....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Toreador Red! Nice!! Sometime between the early 2000s and 2008 they went to dark toreador red.

My 2008 is Dark Toreador red......this and the bright red are my two favs....

That really is a nice color. Mine is just the plain ol' regular Toreador. Still kinda glad it's not white. Nothing against white vans…but literally every other one I looked at was white. It was a refreshing change…