Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #21

Re: New to Forum -- couple of quick questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
...Don't think we need a stove but a microwave could prove useful...
If it's important to you to have your vehicle classified as an RV, be mindful of what you install or don't install. There are a few discussions in this forum about what items are ncessary to qualify as an RV. It can make a difference in your insurance, and your registration (in some states).

A little searching can hopefully clarify this for you. Or, give SMB a call.

Herb
Thanks for advice. Wife is already on this. Going to talk to insurance person and make sure we have everything set up ok.

Thanks, robert

rescuerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuerobert
Agree with you on the regular vans being more stealthy but wife prefers driving the Sprinter. The van will have other uses as well as grandchild visits. We have a son living in orange county that we will be visiting so would like to have a toilet and perhaps a shower. Don't think we need a stove but a microwave could prove useful. Looking at having a dinette setup. And our camping days are pretty much over so don't have to plan for that (I think!!)
Good luck with HOA agree that Sportsmobile can look the most like a regular vehicle as opposed to the RV look of Roadtrek etc.
Wife loved your Rescue Roberts plumbing idea!!!!
Thanks,
Robert
if your wife likes the Sprinter then go for it. buy in from the wife is 90% of the game.
I'd add the stove with propane just in case. better resale value too. propane heater too.
with your new Sprinter, you might end up taking more "camping" trips or doing more touring.
You may want to take your grandchild camping too, which would be a great experience for them.
have you considered how many seats (legal with belts) you will need in the van thinking towards the future. Is it just you two or will there be more?

Side question to the group - Does anyone know if an EB would have a smoother ride than an RB?
I was having an email discussion with another poster who said his wife had some back problems develop from riding in the Sprinter RB. Was just curious if the longer wheel base dampens out the ride some how.

High Roof vs Low Roof? How tall are you and your wife?

There are so many things to think about when designing your on RV!
Torn on adding propane devices. Like the idea of the diesel heating and hot water. But resale value is something that can not be discounted easily even though we tend to keep our vehicles forever.
Would like of have lots of seat belts. We also have dogs that sometimes we be be taking with us and they have harnesses that attach to seat belts. Hopefully protective mom will let us take grandkids for camping etc. Any thoughts if the dinette setup would be comfortable seating for kids?
Like the looks of the low roof but I bump my head on it, so thinking of high roof.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
...Don't think we need a stove but a microwave could prove useful...
If it's important to you to have your vehicle classified as an RV, be mindful of what you install or don't install. There are a few discussions in this forum about what items are ncessary to qualify as an RV. It can make a difference in your insurance, and your registration (in some states).

A little searching can hopefully clarify this for you. Or, give SMB a call.

Herb
Thanks for advice. Wife is already on this. Going to talk to insurance person and make sure we have everything set up ok.

Thanks, robert
please share your findings. I haven't crossed that bridge yet but plan to so any info would be helpful.
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Torn on adding propane devices. Like the idea of the diesel heating and hot water. But resale value is something that can not be discounted easily even though we tend to keep our vehicles forever.
Would like of have lots of seat belts. We also have dogs that sometimes we be be taking with us and they have harnesses that attach to seat belts. Hopefully protective mom will let us take grandkids for camping etc. Any thoughts if the dinette setup would be comfortable seating for kids?
Like the looks of the low roof but I bump my head on it, so thinking of high roof.

Thanks,
Robert
seems a propane system would be stealthier than diesel.
you don't have to start up your van in the morning to get hot water for showering or cleaning.
If you were camping that would be a different scenario and wouldn't matter. I would think you wouldn't want to start the engine until you're ready to leave. BTW -from my limited exposure to the new Sprinter diesel engine, it seems very quiet.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
you don't have to start up your van in the morning to get hot water for showering or cleaning.
If you were camping that would be a different scenario and wouldn't matter. I would think you wouldn't want to start the engine until you're ready to leave. BTW -from my limited exposure to the new Sprinter diesel engine, it seems very quiet.
Don't know to much about the espar heaters. I was under the impression that the engine did not
have to be started. I thought that they just used diesel instead of propane. Will definitely have
to check this out.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Don't know to much about the espar heaters. I was under the impression that the engine did not
have to be started. I thought that they just used diesel instead of propane. Will definitely have
to check this out.

Thanks,
Robert
oh, sorry. I was thinking of one of the water heaters that works off the main engine.
there are some other threads regarding espar heaters and water heaters. I need to learn more about those as well. I'm pretty sure you can get a diesel cooktop as well but heard they are very expensive.
I'm probably the last guy to be discussing any of this since I'm a newbie and only working on our own design at this point. I am very interested in anything related to Sprinters designs
Old 11-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
to check this out.

Thanks,
Robert
the engine does not have to be started w a diesel espar
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #28

Quote:
the engine does not have to be started w a diesel espar
For those of you out there that have a diesel espar; how reliable are they? Seems I've seen
some threads with lots of complaints about them. Just a few bad ones or not maintained correctly?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
If you have to start up and run the engine for your hot water, means you have a flat plate
Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #30

Quote:
For those of you out there that have a diesel espar; how reliable are they? Seems I've seen
some threads with lots of complaints about them. Just a few bad ones or not maintained correctly?

Thanks,
Robert
I have 2 diesel espars. 1 is an option from MB(its tied into the radiator and also preheats the engine) the other was installed by sportsmobile, and its an air heater