Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

Newbie about to start on DIY Sprinter conversion

Hello,

I am a lurker on this site, about to break ground on a semi-DIY Sprinter Sportsmobile build.

I have an order at SMB-West to install a convertible gaucho in the rear along the driver's side, and a bank of cabinets on the passenger side.

I had hoped they would install a couple of capitan's chairs in the #3 and #4 position, but that is not going to work out. A beautiful (and cheap!) recommendation they made was to keep the factory 3-place bench seat for the #3 and #4 passengers, and work the conversion behind it. This actually works out pretty well because
1) it's cheap, and
2) when passengers #3 and #4 get into reform school and momma and I are free to travel on our own, we can pop the bench seat out and free up space for more stuff.

I am not, at this point, having SMB install any infrastructure (propane, water, electric). I chose to wait for a couple of reasons, including,
1) it's cheap, and
2) I want to let our travels dictate what infrastructure is needed, rather than boating the van up with heaters and grey water tanks other practicalities that we may never use, and
3) Even with a first-rate outfit like SMB, more "systems" means more opportunities for failure, and I cannot become enthusiastic about toting around a bunch of stuff I only peripherally understand while waiting for it to break.

When I get a handle on this whole scanning deal, I will post pix of our design.

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to introduce myself and my project. I hope I have posted it in the correct area.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #2

Re: Newbie about to start on DIY Sprinter conversion

You should post your build information in Sportsmobile Builds and Factory Modifications and your questions and plans for homemade modifications in this section... but don't worry if you get too off category one of the Admins will move your post, no biggie.

Look forward to hearing your progress.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

There are some great ideas in here. You could also look here for an excellent example of a 'build your own' sprinter. =->http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=20079
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #4

Oh yeah, and feel free to tear it up in the Sprinter section. Keith will be glad of some company!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray
There are some great ideas in here. You could also look here for an excellent example of a 'build your own' sprinter. =->http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=20079

Thanks for the advice. Sadly, I had to ban myself from the expeditionportal site because it is just waaaaay too cool, and I spent all my time and energy there at the expense of nearly all else. It is really a great resource and a great site ... for people with the willpower to drag themselves away .

As soon as I do something more substantial than order windows and reserve some time at the SMB shop, I will post up here. Or, actually, over at the Sprinter section of this site.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #6

Yeah, it's like SMB4um is the methadone of the adventure forum experience.... thaaaaaaaks.