Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Off the deep end

The van bug strikes again!! Had a 94 AS B190 with the intention of doing a 4x4 conversion but could not justify sinking 20k into a 22 year old rig. Always loved the SMB but could not afford one, so now I am building one piece meal. Found a relatively low mileage 2003 E350EB with RIP kit and Aluminess Front bumper, ladder and rear tire carrier, home built interior that needs to be gutted but it good start. Sending in my deposit for a March/April PH install and will then work on the interior, so many possibilities, sol little money This is how he sits now, the previous owner named it Krishna and I could not argue for a better name so left it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2653.jpg  

Jb1rd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

Saw your posts on the Expo forum and for a second I though the van had transferred ownership! Glad to realize it's still the same owner

Sweet looking van!!!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Cool! Saw that one on CL. Seemed like it had some cool parts. Love the color!
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Fwiw I love the color. I look forward to seeing your personalized interior rebuild. One great thing about this forum is respect across the board for all styles of rigs!
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
MSD

Garage
That was a great find, it was the one for sale in Glenwood Springs right. It will be a great rig to build out over time congrats on a purchase. Enjoy the van life lots of knowledge and info here on the forum.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #6

yup...cool color...welcome!!

......so SMB penthouse installs are out to March 2017??? Have you considered a CCV top?
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

I have considered the CCV top but at the moment I'm not to sure about the build quality. Seems to be quite a few of unhappy owners, or maybe it's because they are the most vocal. It's the biggest expense (besides initial purchase) going into the van and I want it to be a blessing not a curse. Sure SMB could do a bad job but it seems that 50 years of being in business gives a little more assurance. I am not 100% against CCV and would like to go to their shop and see for myself what is actually going on over there, and the added bonus is that they are fairly local to me so a lot easier for drop off/pick up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
yup...cool color...welcome!!

......so SMB penthouse installs are out to March 2017??? Have you considered a CCV top?
Jb1rd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Being that you are in CO I would go with CCV it is a great product and you can make the effort to keep an eye on the process.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #9

A few things to consider.....

The CCV bed is about 50" wide; the SMB bed is 39.5" wide

The CCV tops are all electric; this is an option for SMB (about $1500??...not sure on the price)

The CCV tops extend higher than an SMB top, high enough to sit up when in the penthouse loft area.

CCV has an option for insulated canvas

Both tops are similar $$

SMB build quality isn't anything to write home about either.......

All that being said, I have a manual SMB penthouse and I'm happy with it.......although I've reinforced the crossbars, pivots, changed the lights, headliner and re-adjusted both sets of springs 3-4 times as I add weight to the roof.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb1rd1973 View Post
I have considered the CCV top but at the moment I'm not to sure about the build quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post

SMB build quality isn't anything to write home about either.......
Here are a few shots of SMB PH build quality from the donor van that I harvested my top from....

Penthouse roof cut

high mounted brake light wiring

again...I have an SMB top and I'm happy with it....not trying to bash SMB but trying to paint an accurate picture

The only CCV top that I've checked out in any detail is 1der's.....he oversaw the install quite comprehensively at CCV......

There are a few others here that have replaced their SMB tops with CCV tops as well.