Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Trucker Camper Convert

Hi All!

Another newbie, of course. Nice to meet you!

I'm finally parting with my truck camper (should have done it years ago!) and searching for a van to venture forth further into the wild. I still have a fondness I can't shake for the old style Econoline and keep leaning toward the EB. Little girl's syndrome, I suppose. Compensating for my height in length!

I'd love to hear thoughts on why you prefer the RB over EB, or vice versa!

Seems like everyone wants an SMB and no one wants to let them go, so maybe a ground up build will be in my future after all? I'll definitely post pics either way when there is anything to show.

Hope to see you off road sooner rather than later!

WTFAdventureTours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Welcome to the site. Your question has been asked many times over the years. I'll say most folks who have had both like the extra space of the EB. No issues using my EB around town but it was a close call getting it into my driveway! Here are just a few posts on the subject.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...vs-eb-351.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ate-10590.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-eb-11311.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-eb-19193.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #3

No driveway, no problem! Ha!

Thanks for the links!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
The extra length of those aluminess bumpers coupled with the vans length makes a bit more trouble in tight turns on the trail. Are you planning to travel off road? Need or want 4x4?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFAdventureTours View Post
Seems like everyone wants an SMB and no one wants to let them go, so maybe a ground up build will be in my future after all?
People want them but they don't necessarily keep them. There have been more for sale this Spring than here and elsewhere than I've seen in years. Keep on the lookout for a good deal. There's also a very active post on Expedition Portal called 'vans for sale' where new vans of all kinds pop up daily.

Welcome and read away.

FOUND Vans For Sale! - Expedition Portal!
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
The extra length of those aluminess bumpers coupled with the vans length makes a bit more trouble in tight turns on the trail. Are you planning to travel off road? Need or want 4x4?
Definitely planning to be off road and 4x4 is a must, but no Rubicon in my future! I'd rather climb big rocks than drive over them, most of the time.

I could see tight turns being a problem, but not sure the small-ish percentage of time I might encounter that would be worth losing the storage. I read through the links you sent and it seems people really appreciated the extra cf for long duration trips. For the next couple years, there theoretically could be three humans and a large dog on occasion.

The end goal is to spend more time on the road than at the house once the tiny human has left for college.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
People want them but they don't necessarily keep them. There have been more for sale this Spring than here and elsewhere than I've seen in years. Keep on the lookout for a good deal. There's also a very active post on Expedition Portal called 'vans for sale' where new vans of all kinds pop up daily.

Welcome and read away.

FOUND Vans For Sale! - Expedition Portal!
You're awesome! Thank you! I'll check it out! I have been scouring the inter webs trying to find where these things hide (other than here). About 6 months ago there was one for sale parked in a field about 20 minutes from my house and I still kick myself daily for not hopping the fence to check it out.