Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
“What makes it a Sportsmobile?”

Lots of L brackets and MDF.
ROFLMAO!!!! Oh, and jagged metal, some staples, and a wavy fiberglass penthouse top.

2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #22
Gone Traveling

How do you like the CCV top?
Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 AM   #23
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk216v View Post
ROFLMAO!!!! Oh, and jagged metal, some staples, and a wavy fiberglass penthouse top.
Re: What makes it a “sportsmobile?”

Leaks, things falling out of the ceiling, bad fit/finish... and top it off with deplorable customer service! Ha Ha!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself, this last year with SMBW has changed me for life, lol. What a freakin’ reality check this has been. My van is great, and beautiful, but because of their handling of, well... everything, we bought a new van and are selling our 1 year old sportsmobile. Not ever having to deal with them again is a HUGE relief and a ton of weight off my shoulders. I’ll only ever have to deal with them while this Class Action Suit is running its course.

Yep, that’s how you know it’s a sportsmobile, lol. Be happy you got a CCV, trust me.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #24

@VocalVirgo Your experience with SMB-W sucks, for sure, and I fully support you getting the story out there. But bringing it into so many threads where SMB is mentioned is getting old. You’ve made your point multiple times in multiple threads. Please consider toning it back a bit.

From another vocal Virgo ;-)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
At first I thought this was a question of what makes a Sportsmobile a Sportsmobile, as in: Is having just a SMB pop top still a SMB? Or “I’ve got a swivel seat base, can I call it a Sportsmobile”[emoji3061]
Any and all are welcome here! SMB or any of the numerous other up fitters out there these days, home builds, hack jobs (professional or otherwise) wannabes, lurkers.....I’d be kicked off this forum if that weren’t the case as I’ve completely de-Sportsmobilized my Sportsmobile, although I’ve just enacted a grandfather clause. Then where would I go? You guys (and gals) are the only social media outlet I’ve got!
And yes, I can attest to the comment about MDF and brackets[emoji79]
For me, it all started years ago when I peeled off the Sportsmobile stickers, was it still a Sportsmobile then? I know what I’m driving, and even if they wanted to pay me for brand advertising, I’d still probably say no, just not a decals kind of guy.
I also peeled the CCV stickers off the new pop top the day I got it home, even after I said not to put em on, so it’s not just a SMB thing.
.....I might just have to get some “Frankelmobile” stickers made[emoji848]
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #26

The only thing Sportsmobile on my van is the pop up penthouse top. It says Sportsmobile on it. Naturally everyone thinks its a Sportsmobile. I remind that only the top is SMB. 4x4 QuadVan, Van Specialties interior, both of which I claim, lol, might be of better quality that the SMB variety. I'm sure I'm biased.
Great leeway on this site for your camper van to be here. And your rig being called a SMB is not such a bad thing, as a SMB is a big sturdy camper van.
Its about camper vans, and great ideas from smart people.
And this site is a great community to boot.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #27

They haven't kicked me out yet!

I found this forum before we purchased a van. I was directed here quite a few times from Google. It has been a wonderful tool that aided us in buying the van. After we lurked around getting ideas, we knew this was the idea we needed for a van. I can honestly say the Sportsmobile forum helped us know we were not alone in thinking family vehicles don't have to be ugly!

just joked today with my wife that we would have to coolest van at the homeschool convention this year! Hahahaha.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 AM   #28
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
@VocalVirgo Your experience with SMB-W sucks, for sure, and I fully support you getting the story out there. But bringing it into so many threads where SMB is mentioned is getting old. You’ve made your point multiple times in multiple threads. Please consider toning it back a bit.

From another vocal Virgo ;-)
I appreciate your politeness in your comment. And yes, I fully own that I have mentioned SMBW and what they did to us several times, in several threads. I just did a count, and I have more threads/comments WITHOUT SMBW being mentioned than ones where I did, so, so far I'm ahead! (that was a joke of course). Yeah, I know it can get old. My apologies if it has gotten on your nerves. But it has been a truly frustrating experience. We had to buy another van just to get them out of our lives, and I was so sad to find out so many others did the same. I REALLY wanted either a SMB or a Rialta when I was a kid, and the SMBW experience crushed a childhood dream. It was upsetting enough that it spilled over into many threads and comments... and that can be frustrating to OTHER members, and I don't want to do that, so, for that, I'm sorry.

And again, really- thank you for stating your feelings so politely. I appreciate that.

-VocalVirgo
Old 11-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage
Back on topic, I've always considered a trademark Sportsmobile as any total build (inside and out) done by Sportsmobile. Doesn't matter if it's on a different chassis. The term Holy Grail gets thrown around a bit which refers to a Ford Econoline van with a Sportsmobile designed 4x4 conversion that has a 7.3 PSD and is more specific to the body, engine and drive train.

As mentioned, this is a adventure van Forum and was built around that. Even if van might not actually be a SMB, there is a lot good info here that might apply to van camping. However an owner of a specific vehicle such as a Airstream, Roadtrek or even a converted Jeep might be better off finding a site dedicated to their vehicles. But anybody is welcome to contribute positively to the site even if you don't own a van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
Old 11-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #30

Well said Dave, well said.

I think this is worth sharing as well. There are many of us here who previously owned a Sportsmobile but either changed/upgraded to a different or newer van or even a different type of camper altogether but we never left here. There is a specific reason for this. Even with highs and lows of participation, changes of ownership and so on this continues to be a mature and helpful crew of camping van fans. I hope we'll be here long after the #vanlife craze dies down a bit. Most of us were doing this before it became in vogue.

Closed Thread