Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #1

Question 2001 Ford EB 250 - Refurbish or Sell?

Greetings

This is NOT a FOR SALE notice.

2001 Ford EB 250, I am seeking advice if I should refurbish and when I should consider selling.

I have a 2001 Ford EB 250 with 75000 miles and my family has enjoyed dispersed camping with it in National Forests and BLM for over a decade.

If I were to sell it, I would get a newer used model exactly similar to our Ford EB 250 (suggestions on what to purchase would also be appreciated!)

The problem is maintaining older vehicles is finding parts directly from manufactures, be it Ford or Sportsmobile. Finding knowledgeable and reputable service providers gets harder as well.

Yes, its interior is starting to show some expected minor wear and tear and I am currently considering putting in the investment to refurbish.

The exterior and power train are in excellent condition. In 2010, I had the pop-top rebuilt due to extensive leaking because prior ownership had improperly installed roof-mounted racks (not recommended by Sportsmobile).

Feedback from others having older model Ford EB 250 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

Garage
Sounds like keep it.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

Maybe it's due to my experiences with much more uncommon vehicles but I've got a 2001 E250 and never have any hassles finding parts. I've even got a heavily tweaked 4x4 from Salem Kroger who are out of business and even then the wizards at 4WheelParts could do the ball joints and other stuff.

And I've had SMB replace the refer recently. And just redid the electrical. And even got a new upper rear brake light from SMB. Otherwise, mostly standard Ford parts.

I suppose the fabric around the penthouse might go sometime, but SMB is still there and if they can't do it and no body shop can then maybe time to sell. But I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that can't be easily replaced, modified, or fabricated.

OTOH if you want to get a new rig, right on. Just the jump to lithium batteries has been some work and if I the budget I could see all shiny new goodness...but be prepared for some sticker shock.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #4

I see you live in Seattle. Are you mechanical at all? I live in Seattle and have taken a few SMB’s apart. Everything in them is relatively easily to take apart and replace/remake.

Send me a PM and maybe I can help you out or point you in the right direction.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

If you like the layout, then keep it! Sounds like a great rig with low miles, and you know the history. I have a 98 SMB and it’s still going strong, and have never had any issues finding parts for it. Econoline parts are cheap and common, and any interior parts have been readily available either direct from SMB or more usually on Amazon or the Web.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Got a 2000 with 167,000 miles in the last two weeks it has hauled belly dancers, gone camping with dogs and hauled band gear down to San Diego as well as being a portable dressing room. Parts for the Ford E series are very common.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

I don't think I'd ever part with my 1994 (barring winning the lottery).

I know this van, I know how it's been cared for (since it was built as it we're only the second owners and first owner was religious about maintenance), know all the systems, know where very nut and bolt is in the Sportsmobile build. Sure I've had to fix and maintain some things, but I have fixed to them to my relatively high standards, and who's to say you wouldn't be doing that on a newer one.

I too haven't had any trouble (so far) getting parts for the van, Quigley, or the Sportsmobile specific parts (which aren't really Sportsmobile specific, most of them, replaced the fridge myself no real problems, only thing I've had SM do specifically was new canvas for the top and I could have had a local shop do it albeit for a bit more and longer wait time).

Besides, you might miss this one... we bought ours from a couple that sold it to build a second custom Sportsmobile and they always seemed to miss their first van when we ran into them at rendezvouses (sp?).

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

Thanks all
Appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

Throw a blanket over 'er and go do the motel with heated pool thing for a while.
When that's done, remove the blanket, put on some new rims and tires, perform a thorough inside and out clean/purge ritual, restock with a fresh sleeping bag(s) and supplies , do a smoky sage bath to end the session and ...hit the road.
Report back. And as always, we need pic's or it didn't happen. Just sayin'
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #10

I have a 2001 EB E350 and went through your thought process. Most of the vehicle is in great shape. But the interior was starting to need work and the solar needing updating.

Well, I went overboard and I'm now in the process of doing a full interior rebuild. That means I've stripped out of the cabinetry, paneling, and insulation. Also disconnecting various electrical items. Taking it all apart is easy (and fun!). Putting it back together is a *lot* of work.

I've already installed two new solar panels on the pop-top and new insulation on the ceiling. At the moment I'm working on the insulation on the walls. Next will come electrical. New charge controller, fuse box, etc.. Then paneling will go in. Eventually I'll get to the cabinetry. Phew.

All of this really began because I needed new/more solar panels. I probably could have gotten away with updating the solar and related electrical components. But, I jumped off the deep end.

Now if you do decide to keep yours and refurbish, I recommend thinking long and hard on the what you would like updated. What is needed vs wanted. Then break those items down into who will do the work and the cost for the items.

Have fun no matter what you choice you make.
hansk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eb 250, refurbish