Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #1

2019 Sprinter Specs

I'm finalizing my build for a new short Sprinter that will be heading to Sportsmobile for a penthouse install. It would be great to get some feedback on the following:

- MB factory security system - Does it make sense to order? Can the motion detector be turned off if you are sleeping in the vehicle? Other security system options to consider?

- Pros/cons of power lift for Sprinter penthouse vs. manual lift.

- Are the penthouse tops provided by Sportsmobile the same at each of their locations?

Thanks!

texasm

texasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

2019 Sprinter Specs

People with the power top love the ease and hate that it takes a couple minutes to raise and lower. People with manual tops hate the strain, but it’s up in 10 seconds.

Tops are different at each location. They buy from different suppliers. I have both a Fresno top on one econoline and a Texas top on the other. Subtle differences like the Texas top is completely flat on top on the outside whereas the CA top looks ribbed. They are pretty much the same inside. Except the top I have on a Chevy allows for storing a 2” memory foam mattress on top of the penthouse bed with the top down and it’s amazing.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Our penthouse was installed two years ago in Fresno, we were told that they no longer build them without the powered mechanism. The roof goes up to 8', higher than the Eurovan camper we had with a manual top that went up at an angle with gas shocks.
LindaDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

Fresno will not install a non powered top. The other locations will.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

I strongly suggest the power top. I thought I'd save the money, but in my case (139" wb Promaster) the springs they put in began to relax after a year, and the top would occasionally come down if the bed were secured to the top.
Not good.
So now I have to tie the top off with a strap to ensure it won't do that, and I have an appointment with SB Texas to put the power lift in - hopefully the motor drive will be a bit stiffer.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penthouse top, security