Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Garage
2WD lift discussions

FWIW....if my van was newer (it's a '95 E250 2WD), I'd be seriously considering this.

I called Camburg and asked them if their kit would work on a pre-'97 van, and the guy got pretty adamant that *nothing was the same* in the fronts of the vans and that it wouldn't work. 1997-2014 vans only, he said. (And their website does indeed say that....I just wanted to check and see if there was possibly a modification or part swap that could be made to make it work.....)

So -- addressing the other seasoned suspension experts here for your collective second opinions --- is there indeed *NO* practical way to make these kits work with a '92-'96 E-series? To his credit, the Camburg guy sounded pretty darn defiant that it wasn't possible. (Or that it would require too much changes to the front end to be practical.)

Wondered what the major difference was that causes the incompatibility.

(*** I'm currently (as a result) shopping the "Action Van" lift setups and also the lower-rise lift (sounds to be about 2" on average) that it sounds like Agile can affect to these 2WD E-series vans. ***)

Thanks and GLWS!

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
FWIW....if my van was newer (it's a '95 E250 2WD), I'd be seriously considering this.

I called Camburg and asked them if their kit would work on a pre-'97 van, and the guy got pretty adamant that *nothing was the same* in the fronts of the vans and that it wouldn't work. 1997-2014 vans only, he said. (And their website does indeed say that....I just wanted to check and see if there was possibly a modification or part swap that could be made to make it work.....)

So -- addressing the other seasoned suspension experts here for your collective second opinions --- is there indeed *NO* practical way to make these kits work with a '92-'96 E-series? To his credit, the Camburg guy sounded pretty darn defiant that it wasn't possible. (Or that it would require too much changes to the front end to be practical.)

Wondered what the major difference was that causes the incompatibility.

(*** I'm currently (as a result) shopping the "Action Van" lift setups and also the lower-rise lift (sounds to be about 2" on average) that it sounds like Agile can affect to these 2WD E-series vans. ***)

Thanks and GLWS!

Have you called Jeremy at Weldtec Designs?
1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPo View Post
Have you called Jeremy at Weldtec Designs?
I haven't --- ! Thanks for the suggestion.
It sounds like some pretty good press coming back about their kits.

Q: What is the general collective SMB Forum opinion of the strengths/weaknesses of the various kits (and installers) that are out there? I'm kinda lucky to live right here in SoCal where it seems most of these guys are based, could take my van to almost any of them pretty easily.

Camburg vs. Weldtec vs. Action Van -- has there been a recent thread that compared the three (and any others) --- ?
(I know....go search.....on it now ***looking***

Would be great to see/read some kind of collective group knowledge comparison, looking at the following things:

* total price (can't ignore it)
* build quality (and ultimate ease of "sorting out" the final details of the lift (including alignment))
* suspension action / ride quality (this is unquestionably number one)

Thanks. Love me some lifted SMB
Old 02-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
I haven't --- ! Thanks for the suggestion.
It sounds like some pretty good press coming back about their kits.

Q: What is the general collective SMB Forum opinion of the strengths/weaknesses of the various kits (and installers) that are out there? I'm kinda lucky to live right here in SoCal where it seems most of these guys are based, could take my van to almost any of them pretty easily.

Camburg vs. Weldtec vs. Action Van -- has there been a recent thread that compared the three (and any others) --- ?
(I know....go search.....on it now ***looking***

Would be great to see/read some kind of collective group knowledge comparison, looking at the following things:

* total price (can't ignore it)
* build quality (and ultimate ease of "sorting out" the final details of the lift (including alignment))
* suspension action / ride quality (this is unquestionably number one)

Thanks. Love me some lifted SMB

Well I can only speak about Weldtech since thats who I went with.

The Ultimate kit from WTD is about the same as Action high end kit, maybe a few $$ less. I think Camburg is the most expensive.

I was worried about alignment because a user on the forum had an issue with his pulling. I took my van to a well known and highly rated alignment shop who does VERY high end cars and race cars ( Glenns Alignment in Costa Mesa). He was able to dial it in with ZERO issues.

People on the forum like all 3 companies. In my opinion, Camburg and WTD are on a diffrent level than Action. Action isn't bad or lesser by any means, but maybe just not quite as "hard core" I don't want to start a pissing match, and this is just my opinion by walking into both companies and meeting both owners.

As far as service, you could get on the phone and the owner of WTD will answer. Thats a big plus for me. The only down side is that Jeremy is BUSY and often projects may take a little longer. I feel that you would get this from any custom shop though. Lifting a van isnt like lifting a Wrangler.

Ride quality depends on if you do custom rear springs or not. If you have the Fox shocks youll be much happier ( So I've heard). I have no complaints

1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
Old 02-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Garage
btw -- mikracer --- sorry if you feel I've hijacked your thread (no pun intended.....get it...hijack....lift kits.....aghhhhh, terrible puns......)

Camburg kits look pretty darn nice, as do those Weldtecs.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPo View Post
Well I can only speak about Weldtech since thats who I went with.

The Ultimate kit from WTD is about the same as Action high end kit, maybe a few $$ less. I think Camburg is the most expensive.

I was worried about alignment because a user on the forum had an issue with his pulling. I took my van to a well known and highly rated alignment shop who does VERY high end cars and race cars ( Glenns Alignment in Costa Mesa). He was able to dial it in with ZERO issues.

People on the forum like all 3 companies. In my opinion, Camburg and WTD are on a diffrent level than Action. Action isn't bad or lesser by any means, but maybe just not quite as "hard core" I don't want to start a pissing match, and this is just my opinion by walking into both companies and meeting both owners.

As far as service, you could get on the phone and the owner of WTD will answer. Thats a big plus for me. The only down side is that Jeremy is BUSY and often projects may take a little longer. I feel that you would get this from any custom shop though. Lifting a van isnt like lifting a Wrangler.

Ride quality depends on if you do custom rear springs or not. If you have the Fox shocks youll be much happier ( So I've heard). I have no complaints

DerPro, your rig looks great!!!

And it looks to be a 2WD --- have you indeed upped your rear-axle game to a solid locker of some sort? Looks like you're not shy about hitting the lesser-traveled backroads and byways with that setup.

Very cool.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
DerPro, your rig looks great!!!

And it looks to be a 2WD --- have you indeed upped your rear-axle game to a solid locker of some sort? Looks like you're not shy about hitting the lesser-traveled backroads and byways with that setup.

Very cool.
It is 2WD. I have a gear shop in Sun Valley (LA,CA) who is going to call me when they get a full float D60 with disks. I have a semi-float with a ford LSD and stock gearing (3.73?) . I'm on the fence about lockers, still debating between ARB, Eaton, Detroit.

I'm stilll getting used to wheeling such a BIG rig. I have a wrangler that I've been wheeling for 10 years. This beast is a whole different game. And the 2wd makes it that much more challenging.
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
Old 02-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Team

OK, I split this discussion off of the Camburg 2wd lift For Sale thread to clean things up a bit. Admittedly, I probably split the thread with a chainsaw but it's hard to cut intermingled threads with anything resembling surgical precision.

Herb
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
OK, I split this discussion off of the Camburg 2wd lift For Sale thread to clean things up a bit. Admittedly, I probably split the thread with a chainsaw but it's hard to cut intermingled threads with anything resembling surgical precision.

Herb
Good job on the split. I was not following the other thread. I think it is great for us 2wd folks.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post

Herb
Sorry about that mess. I honestly lost track that it was initially a FS thread!