Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
You’re not going to fit a 5” down pipe, and 4” is plenty unless you’re building a sled puller.

I run an f-series turbo (for better midrange power) and downpipe with a diamond eyes 4” van system after that.
How does the set up sound?

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
How does the set up sound?

I like it. It’s not overly noisy, but has a good performance diesel sound. It’s runs great though. Dramatically decreased downshifts on uphill climbs, due to the smaller turbine housing on the truck turbo. It spools the turbo much quicker and at a lower rpm.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6263.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	28522
As you can see the 4“ is already really tight and you actually have to put a small dent in the pipe so it doesn’t vibrate against the body and make it crazy loud.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #14

I am not contradicting anything you have done. So don't get defensive. But I have never seen anyone put an F-Series 7.3 turbo on a van. But I have heard of many F-Series 7.3 owners putting van turbos on their trucks. So you are certainly thinking outside the box. What was your thinking? Did you carry over the F-Series inter-cooler set up as well?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #15

Get get probe for sure I have the diamond eye exhaust and it’s great.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	28523
vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
I am not contradicting anything you have done. So don't get defensive. But I have never seen anyone put an F-Series 7.3 turbo on a van. But I have heard of many F-Series 7.3 owners putting van turbos on their trucks. So you are certainly thinking outside the box. What was your thinking? Did you carry over the F-Series inter-cooler set up as well?

I wanted more midrange part throttle power to help this heavy van climb mountains. I have had many super duty diesel trucks and much prefer the powerband of the wastegated smaller turbine/bigger compressor turbo. The reason truck guys put van turbos on is to get a bigger exhaust housing for more top end power, because it flows more overall air at the cost of how much heat it takes to spool it. You can help make up the lag with tuning, but in a real world driving the family around in Colorado setting, getting into boost at part throttle dramatically reduces the need for downshifts and high rpms to climb hills.

Currently using water/methanol injection, but working on an air/water intercooler setup. That requires a fuel bowl delete too, so it’s going to be rather involved to get all that done.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #17

5 inch exhaust for 2003 7.3 Diesel

Modified truck turbo

Name:	IMG_6038.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	28534

Van turbo:

Name:	IMG_6039.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	28535

I wish I took a side by side to show the van compressor housing is much smaller on the van turbo and the turbine side is much larger. The smaller truck turbine spools at lower rpms than the van turbo because of that and also the larger truck compressor flows more air than the little Van compressor housing does once spooled up. My last van I kept the van turbo and just changed the compressor wheel. It ran pretty good but didn’t make enough torque at mid rpms to climb hills since the turbo wasn’t spooling until it downshifts.

Thanks for being cordial but I’m not offended at all. I love the way my van drives right now. I pass people in uphill passing lanes now instead of getting passed; the tune and w/m injection helps, but I did drive it for a while on the stock van tune with the truck turbo and it was still a great improvement. 30k miles on this setup and now I’m thinking about bigger injectors and a bigger turbo once I sort out the intercooler.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #18

I installed the 4" Diamond Eye kit two weeks ago on my '98. It was pretty simple except for adding some clearance to the downpipe for some of the bell housing bolts. Mine drones loud above 65mph. Would a resonator help?
r27d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Get get probe for sure I have the diamond eye exhaust and it’s great.Attachment 28523

This is timely for me, I'm about to drill and tap my manifold, thanks for the great pic.

In fact, one might say it's a work of Art, Vandelay

I couldn't help myself
Old 07-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #20

Quote:
I wanted more midrange part throttle power to help this heavy van climb mountains. I have had many super duty diesel trucks and much prefer the powerband of the wastegated smaller turbine/bigger compressor turbo. The reason truck guys put van turbos on is to get a bigger exhaust housing for more top end power, because it flows more overall air at the cost of how much heat it takes to spool it. You can help make up the lag with tuning, but in a real world driving the family around in Colorado setting, getting into boost at part throttle dramatically reduces the need for downshifts and high rpms to climb hills.

This makes a lot of sense, Thanks for the explanation.

I'm also looking to have mine start making boost a little earlier, in lower rpm range, I'd rather chug up a hill in a taller gear, than dowshift into 3rd, particularly when towing.

My 95 van has the early van turbo, 3-1/2" downpipe, I just rebuilt and added a wicked wheel II, and removed the flapper and shaft, while adding an intercooler. I'm adding an EGT and boost gauge too, and hoping to fire it up this weekend after being apart since January.

Looking forward, what's your opinion on needing to add a tuner, to take advantage of the intercooler and other minor mods?

Quote:
Currently using water/methanol injection, but working on an air/water intercooler setup. That requires a fuel bowl delete too, so it’s going to be rather involved to get all that done.

I'm not sure if the fuel bowl location on your 99 is the same as my 95? I was able to use the factory fuel bowl, so long as I used an early 1999 truck spider. Where do you plan to locate the intercooler? It's tight in there...

Tags
4x4, 7.3, diesel, ford