Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Totally misread the window sticker it's a 5.8 V8 E250 and it's got a modified EB 49 build. The guy we bought it from wasn't sure which engine it had. But it cruised so good on on test drive I didn't care. Pic to follow when I can get to my computer.

Squirrel_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #12

Good thing it's a 5.8l. You're going to need it with that steep driveway of yours.

Lots of the 92 back vans had the 4.9l straight 6, including the whole Fedex fleet. I've put a half million miles on one of those vans. They're absolutely bulletproof. Anyway, not to get off topic.....

You just need some airbags or new springs. Not a big deal at all for any shop if you can't do it yourself.

Nice van!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #13

I put a couple of new pics in my gallery. Sorry guys haven't had time to get to my computer. Would front and rear springs from an E350 and Bilstein hd shocks give me my desired effect? One of the comments was front springs and rear blocks? Thank in advance. Super busy cleaning up the old van to sell.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

Yes on E350 springs and Bilsteins. Probably want to avoid the Bilstain HDs. Those are generally recommended for motorhomes over 28'. I'm not a fan of lift blocks, especially as a fix for too-low spring-rates.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_murphy View Post
I put a couple of new pics in my gallery. Sorry guys haven't had time to get to my computer. Would front and rear springs from an E350 and Bilstein hd shocks give me my desired effect? One of the comments was front springs and rear blocks? Thank in advance. Super busy cleaning up the old van to sell.
Hey Squirrel_murphy --- I just took a look at your picture of the rear leaf spring ---

Picture 1 of 2 from Album New

Sportsmobile Forum - Squirrel_murphy's Album: New - Picture

---- and it looks like the main pack (3 leaves) is drooped down and sitting squarely on top of the stiff overload springs. Those leaves are tired out! This won't give you a great ride.

Whatever you decide for the rear springs, I'm in agreement with the others on here for sure --- I definitely wouldn't go the route of a lift block. Instead, new springs (or re-arched/rebuilt/re-stacked) springs would be advisable (IMHO) to get the rear end up and off those rough-riding overload leaves.

SMB Forum member BrianBlair just put a new set of rear leaves (and front coils) in his E250, pretty sure he got a decent price on brand-new set. Somewhere on one of his threads he mentions that the spring replacement give him a bit of additional lift and a smoother ride. (He went with some custom-valved Fox 2.0 shocks for his rig, which is becoming a pretty popular alternative to the Bilsteins.)

Relevant Threads:
Leaf springs....and when to replace them.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...hem-19307.html

Smoooooth.
Finally got around to updating the original, 24 year old shocks/springs/coils.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post201295

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #16

I would talk to Brian.. the front springs he used, custom rear springs, and valved Fox shocks is the best case scenario.. it all ain't cheap, but you'll be most happy with that.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #17

Thanks for all advice guys! Much appreciated