Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

A GTRV stolen (not mine) How to prevent

Yet ANOTHER stolen van, this one a GTRV and not far away.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/wan/d/wanted-gtrv-camperized-mini/6524936282.html

Now, I'm considering this as the next step in theft prevention.

https://www.burglarbomb.com/products/#!/Burglar-Bomb-AB-2000/p/82534141/category=0

WTF? Protect your van's folks, they seem to be a very popular target at the moment. Perhaps it's time to re-open the discussion of ways you have used to protect your van. I'll start:

1. Alarm system with sound / motion detector and loud horn
2. Steering wheel lock
3. Hidden fuel pump cut off
4. Gate latch on the inside of the back doors, can't be forced open from the outside
5. Motion detector on dash and reciever in the house ($20 at Amazon and proven by Ray (1der) to be effective.
6. If leaving the van for long periods, remove two wheels
7. Back into parking places to make tow-aways harder

Do I sound paranoid? You bet I am. What's your security plan?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

Garage
Another:
- The Ravelco anti-theft device (mentioned/discussed on this forum a number of times) gets some great reviews for being undefeatable.

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Devices like that (or a hidden fuel pump disabling switch, or similar) take care of the van theft issue, but they don't stop someone from breaking into the van in the first place and attempting to steal it....which usually involves punched-out door locks, broken-off door handles, bent/jimmied door frames, mangled steering column/ignition switch/ignition lock on transmission lever, possibly some ripped out lower dash panels and wiring....even if your van doesn't get taken, you could be facing thousands of dollars of repairs to deal with the damage done by the failed attempt.

So on that line of thinking:

Tactics/devices that do a great job **from the outside** of broadcasting clearly to would-be thieves that a van is NOT WORTH EVEN TRYING TO STEAL should be a really top priority as well.

What would that be?

(Btw, that Burglar Bomb is fantastic! Holy crap that ought to be effective....the first time anyway.....before theives come back the next time with gas masks....)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
Site Team

#StolenVanLife

I like the idea of the Burglar Bomb, but 1) you will have to get that odor out of the van afterwards (but better than losing your van), and 2) with my luck the burglar will be asthmatic, suffer an asthma attack, and sue me.

Herb
Old 03-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
#StolenVanLife I like the idea of the Burglar Bomb, Herb
I included that mostly in jest, as it's highly likely I would be the one to set it off. I've been hit with bear spray, and don't ever want to experience that again.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

Garage
Intriguing:

Another "The Club"-like anti-theft device, this one clamps/locks onto the brake pedal.

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/pro...ft-device.html
Attached Images

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Stolen

Alarm system with sound/motion detector and LOUD horn(I have) and like I said in the other thread LO/JACK lojack.com or 1-800-4-LOJACK(I have) and fortunately I live in the country on secured 5 acres.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

I'm thinking more about theft prevention as time goes on. I have had LoJack on previous vehicles and equipment years ago and I'm OK with it but I feel it has some drawbacks. I don't know of any updates to LoJack but I wan't a fan of relying on law enforcement to use it. I also didn't care for the process that my equipment could be gone for days and no one realized it was gone, then wait for law enforcement turn it on and track it down. It was the thing to have 20 years ago but are GPS trackers faster and better now? I like the idea that the GPS tracking device will alert me to movement in minutes and I can be active in the search. Not sure on reliability of the newer GPS trackers. Lot's of research to do on that.

In the short term I'm really considering the REVELCO system others like.

On a side note I have had conversations with thieves before. Long story how but I learned a lot on how they operate. Some of the take aways for me are that it's all about what is the easiest and fastest to obtain target. They would have a pretty intensive knowledge of what vehicles to avoid because they are electronically complicated to get running and get open.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #8

I've been thinking about a new tuner with a "no start" program as one of the custom tunes. Downside being that you'd have to decide when to set it, and I could see myself getting complacent during "it's just for a few hours/minutes" times. Probably only ever use it when going out of town (without the van), parked in the middle of the desert/forest, or when staying at a hotel. Then, is stashing the tuner INSIDE the van a good idea? Probably not. Still far from a fool proof method.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Still far from a fool proof method.

I don' think anything is fool proof, if someone wants the van badly enough they will get it. My plan is to install enough delays that they finally give up. Given enough time, they could find a way around all of them, but the longer it takes them, the better chance they will chicken out and run. The Revelco seems to be a great product but doesn't stop the smash and grab type theft, but at least they don't drive away. I did start installing a GPS tracker a couple years ago, but ran into an issue with the keyless entry module preventing the door switches from working. I think I'll get back on that project though, since it's mostly installed already.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Intriguing:

Another "The Club"-like anti-theft device, this one clamps/locks onto the brake pedal.

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/pro...ft-device.html
I've got something similar in my van, in addition to the Ravelco, GPS tracker and steering wheel club. The clubs are easy to defeat but act as a visible deterrent I suppose.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote