Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Active RV Antifreeze System

Winterizing the fresh water system every time it got cold was a PITA.

So now I keep water in my fresh water tank year around. I plug in when possible (parked in my driveway) and let the van take care of itself.

I do depend on the water heater and it's 5 gal of hot water along with the fresh water pump and a little extra pluming to make it all work. I do not try to heat the van while it is parked with no one in it.

The water heater is key and heats with electric (700 watts), and with the engine coolant. Then using the normal water pump, a 12 volt valve, a
couple of thermostats, and some extra pluming there is no longer a need to winterize the fresh water system, even when the rest of the van is frozen.

No need to keep cabinets open (its better if they are kept closed) because my pipes become radiators and keep the closed up spaces warm..

Depending on the layout of your pluming this is not hard to do. I did it in my 2000 Winnebago Brave and now in my Sportsmobile. There were a few bugs last year but this winter everything worked. Temps did get down to single digits with no problems.

A little innovation and we can fear no more (of the cold weather).

DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Can you have a share a sketch of the modifications and the part numbers for the added valves and accessories?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Can you have a share a sketch of the modifications and the part numbers for the added valves and accessories?
The pluming was installed when Sportsmobile Texas put my Sportsmobile together so I'm not sure of the part numbers they used. The valve would be something like this:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/997

Then you need a couple of T's in the pluming. One ahead of the pump (On the tank side of the pump) and one at the end of the hot water line. Then you add a pipe to bring the end of the hot water line, through the valve, to the first T you added ahead of the pump.

The pluming can be easy or hard depending on where the water heater is in relationship to the fresh water tank and pump. Hopefully the end of the cold water line ends up at the water heater and the end of the hot water line goes back towards the tank and pump. Mine got messed up because the water heater and fresh water tank are in the same compartment under my bed so it complicated the pluming.

You need to create a pluming loop so water will flow around through all the pipes.

I hope that makes sense. Each installation will be different.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #4

Garage
You don't have to heat hot water!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
You don't have to heat hot water!
True, I fixed it. Thanks: I love your photo's