Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Adding Upfitter switches to 2012 E-250

Hello all,
I have read some of the threads on the subject of upfitter switches.
Im still a little confused.
My van did not come equipped with the switches.
However I have located the blunt cut wires under the hood in the engine compartment.
I have also located this connector in the vicinity of where the switches would mount to the dash.
My question is: what all do I need to install the switches?
The switch panel which I believe is p/n: 7C3Z-13D730-AA
Attached Thumbnails
20190929_193645[1].jpg  

jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

If you can get your hands on one, there is an electrical book by year for these vans and it will tell you with certainty. I am still in process of connecting mine as do not have the harness but have the wiring from the harness under the steering wheel to the engine compartment. So I need to splice into that. I did not have the wiring from the harness to the dash. Ford did not include that in mine. You might have it right there.

Something there looks off to me. The wiring is all small gauge for relays and the harness into the switches is smaller if I recall.

Remember, you also have to add relays and maybe fuses to the electrical panel in the engine compartment. The switches inside the cab just trigger relays on that panel for the blunt ends

The wiring diagrams book will show you for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Wiring...cAAOSwgn1dYBT-
Old 10-01-2019, 04:38 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
If you can get your hands on one, there is an electrical book by year for these vans and it will tell you with certainty.
Ford calls those EVTM's, short for Electro-Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual although "Wiring Diagrams" is printed on the front cover.

For those of us doing almost any sort of repair or modifying our E-Series electrical systems these are invaluable. I've collected every year from 1997 to 2013 and beyond when they became cutaways.

Good find on FleaBay---looks like it has already been sold.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

I bought it!
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:31 AM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post
I bought it!
I thought that was the case---good on ya!

Those are great to have laying around, I keep one in my van just in case something goes wrong while away from home.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I thought that was the case---good on ya!

Those are great to have laying around, I keep one in my van just in case something goes wrong while away from home.
Yup, I carry a full set of factory manuals just in case, and have needed them twice, once for a buddy's electrical issue and once to get fuel pump specs.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post
I bought it!

Good!! From what I have gathered Ford is strange with the wiring harnesses. Some have the plug in for the Upfitters and some don't. Mine does not so I have to backtrack to the harnesses underneath the stearing wheel. That's where I found that I have all the wiring on the engine side but none up to where the upfitters would be. I will have to splice in. That book will also help you identify the relays and fuses you need to add to the engine electrical distribution panel where those blunt ends are.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 10-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Good!! From what I have gathered Ford is strange with the wiring harnesses. Some have the plug in for the Upfitters and some don't.
I've found Ford will change their wiring harnesses from year-to-year without much logic; same circuits, same function but yet the wiring changes? My paranoid cynical nature says that's to thwart compatibility between years which then leads theoretically selling more "year specific" parts. Have you recently priced a VSC servo and noticed they're VERY year specific?

Of course with the EVTM and a bit of gumption you can re-configure your own factory connectors to suit your needs. I did when adding an F-Series instrument cluster with tach to an '03 E-Series without factory tach.

Anyway---they're great to have and maybe keep a copy in the van somewhere inside a stout Zip-Lok bag.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the connector in that photo is for the integrated brake controller, not the upfitter switches. The plug for the upfitter switches is much smaller.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

I agree with Kibo: the connector you show is for the brake controller; connector C2108 (C2142) in my 2010 E series Wiring Diagrams book. The wiring diagram for the Trailer Brake Control Module (151-20) is on page 95-1. I used the connector to power a custom instrument panel fitted to the dash cut-out. The plug that fits the connector is a Tekonsha 3034-P.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020808.jpg  
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote