Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

adjusting headlights on 2004 Ford

My headlights were pretty high, so I took it to the Ford dealership to have them adjusted down a bit. When I first drove at night, they had them pointing straight down, and off to one side. I took it back and explained the situation and they re adjusted them. Now they are higher than they were originally, and the driver side headlight still points off to the right. I asked the service tech about it and he said it is hard to adjust them on a lifted van. OK. I looked at the lights and there seems to be an adjustment pin that you turn. I asked him if that was up and down, or left to right. He didn't know. Has anyone here ever adjusted the headlights? There must be two adjustment knobs or screws, one up and down, and one left and right. Thanks. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #2

You had your dealer adjust the angle of your headlights? There's your problem right there. (under warranty i assume?) I haven't ever had to adjust mine but had a similar ford and it wasn't hard at all. Pull up to the garage door, couple phillips screw drivers and aim, retighten. Can't imagine it being rocket science on the E350.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #3

Adventureduo, thanks. But things have changed. I used to do it myself with a line on the garage door like you mentioned. Now the dealer has a rig that suction cups to the headlight lense, over the glass nipples that stick out from the lense. This tool has levels in it and they adjust the two turn knobs to get the levels lined up or something like that. Because the van is lifted it throws their line of light tool off. Right now, my low beams blind oncoming cars and my hight beams go way up in the air and hit nothing but sky. I will try to adjust them myself the old fashioned way, but was wondering which knob is up and down and which one is side to side.
thanks. oclv
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #4

The gadget at dealers doesn't really work. Plus the ground has to be level which does not exist in cement or paving for drainage.

Park about 8-10 feet back from something that looks flat. Measure the headlights center to center and center to ground. Use it as a guide later for the "hotspots" on the doors.

When you turn the knobs it will be very evident which one does what. I always start with the driver's side and estimate closely as possible. Aim as far toward the left as you can stand. Match the height of your hotspot with the measurement of the height of the headlight. Then adjust the hotspot a half inch down.

Match the other side by width and height.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #5

Thanks. I'll give it a go this week. I'm interested to see how high they show up on my garage door. oclv
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #6

Whitbread is right. I have the 1500.00 DOT approved aimer at work and I perfer the gargae door at night.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote