Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Garage
Advice - Windshield Replacement ?

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted (life threw a couple serious curveballs that squashed any van time for the last year.....), but I'm back to the gleeful and irrational pursuit of spending too much money on old vans again.

First order of business.....I need to have the windshield replaced in the E-series SMB.
Solid crack has developed top-to-bottom, there's no saving this one.

What's the group's collective wisdom on these?
Should I just go with a Ford dealer, or are there aftermarket windshield outfits that you guys have had good experiences with?

Appreciate anything that anyone can share.
Thanks in advance, hope everyone is having a good 2019.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

Garage
Fuhget the dealer. Use a local windshield replacement shop. Should be about $250. I have had two replacements. Last time I got the tinted upper section. Glad I did.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #3

Agreed, find a local glass shop. I just replaced mine a few days ago for just under $200. No tinting on mine, never thought of that. Next time I will do that though!

My local shop offers a discount for bringing the van into their shop instead of mobile replacement. My van, like many, is lifted, so they really could use an extra set of hands when placing the new one on the van. Technically they could do it solo, but they definitely prefer to replace it in the shop with 2 guys.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks guys.
Anyone had a windshield installed by Safe-Lite? IIRC, people have had less than stellar experiences with them. It sounds like the best bet is to find a reputable independently-owned automotive glass shop.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

I had no issues with Safe-Lite's service. I had one botched install where it didn't seat fully, but they happily came back out and replaced it again.

But... I don't use them anymore. I swear the glass they use is thinner. I was using them for something like 6 years, and couldn't make it halfway through each winter without it breaking. I finally decided to try a local shop, and requested factory glass. Since the Ford glass has gone in, it's chipped a couple spots but never cracked, and I think it's been at least 6 years now.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I had no issues with Safe-Lite's service. I had one botched install where it didn't seat fully, but they happily came back out and replaced it again.

But... I don't use them anymore. I swear the glass they use is thinner. I was using them for something like 6 years, and couldn't make it halfway through each winter without it breaking. I finally decided to try a local shop, and requested factory glass. Since the Ford glass has gone in, it's chipped a couple spots but never cracked, and I think it's been at least 6 years now.
Interesting!!
So having ultimately gone with getting Ford factory glass installed by an independent shop....was there any cost savings over simply going with a Ford dealer?

(Side note — any idea if the Ford factory glass is available with the upper tint band like the other gents are mentioning? My van currently has that, I’d like to be sure to have that tint band on the next windshield as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Hey Mike!

JWA will be along shortly.

I too had a bad install or two with Safelite. I'm in a mild winter climate so I've never had one crack though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

Garage
Good info Carringb!

I was just glad to find out the van windshields were available without the tint strip. It blocks visibility when up in the mountains. I will however tint the entire windshield with 50% before it gets installed.

Edit: Called my window guy. 150 installed for a Pilkington or pgw windowshields. Gotta pay an extra 20 spot for no tint strip anyone in the boise area interested lmk. He can work with insurance as well.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Interesting!!
So having ultimately gone with getting Ford factory glass installed by an independent shop....was there any cost savings over simply going with a Ford dealer?

(Side note — any idea if the Ford factory glass is available with the upper tint band like the other gents are mentioning? My van currently has that, I’d like to be sure to have that tint band on the next windshield as well.
Most Ford dealers don't do glass installs. Those that do often contract it out. My Focus got new glass at the selling dealer, who actually subbed it out to Safelite.

Yes, the factory glass is available with the tint strip.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #10

I got a safe light windshield 5 years ago and havent had any issues with it. When I thought there was a leak coming from the windshield install, they came out to check it and did a pretty thorough attempt in finding it. The leak ended up coming from somewhere other than the windshield.

In terms of the install and needing an extra set of hands, the guy that dis my install had this articulating arm that suctioned onto the front passenger window and it held and helped remove and place the windshield perfectly. It was pretty cool seeing that thing work.