Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #1

Question Air Compressor

Hello

This thread is directly related to this thread:
Pop-Top Power-Lift Package

I am considering the following much cheaper solution than going down to SMB West to have them install a much more costly service:
Aluminess Penthouse Top Lift

Attractive in price. One drawback, I do not have an air compressor for my van.

Seeking recommendations.
  1. What brand and model of small compressor would be recommended for the purpose of raising this pop-top lift?
  2. Can I store an air-compressor out of the way and not have to pull it out? I was informed by SMB West that they move the spare tire from its compartment under the rear to free space up for a compressor.

Suggestions would be most welcomed, thank you.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:19 AM   #2

Garage
If it was me, I'd want to install the compressor somewhere so I don't have to pull out and set up the portable compressor each time. I have a portable Viair 400-P that works fine.

If I went with a permanently installed/mounted version, I'd go with something from ARB:
https://www.arbusa.com/air-compresso...r-compressors/
Old 08-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #3

Do a search for Viair and ARB compressors......there are many others, but those are reliable brand name units. ARB makes a single or double piston unit.....they ain't cheap.

The Viair units are commonly used for vehicles inflating air bags are related stuff. I'm pretty sure the ARB units are rated for continuous duty as well...not really important for what you want to do. If you add a small air tank to the system it will significantly reduce cycling of the compressor.

You can easily find super cheap small imported 12V compressors, the problem with these is ...well they are junk.....many have a design life of maybe an hour of use....

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=arb+compre...ages&ia=images

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=viair+comp...ages&ia=images
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #4

Garage
I saw on this forum where someone mounted one of these under the driver's seat. Installation seemed rather straightforward, but they did need to cut a crossmember out from under the seat. I like the idea of not having the compressor exposed to exterior elements and you can never feel bad spending $$$ for quality .

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 08-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

I second Boywonders suggestion on the VIAIR, I have attached a link to the setup I just installed in my jeep. It runs $399 with tank compressor, gage, and pressor swith. It will give you air for tires pop-top, and with the tank, you can fill everything much faster and not have to run the compressor if rolling into camp late at night. My Sportsombile has both an ARB and Extream Air, mounted outside and doing great after 10years living in the elements, just follow the mounting instructions.

If you're not interested in all the installation work and plumbing. The Alumaness lift would be easily acuated with any portable 12v pump, some are very slowwwwww but will get there.

Depending on the model, compressors will draw 23-85Amp hours so always keep the engine running when in use.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/viair-..._/R-BKTN-10007
Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post
Hello

This thread is directly related to this thread:
Pop-Top Power-Lift Package

I am considering the following much cheaper solution than going down to SMB West to have them install a much more costly service:
Aluminess Penthouse Top Lift

Attractive in price. One drawback, I do not have an air compressor for my van.

Seeking recommendations.
  1. What brand and model of small compressor would be recommended for the purpose of raising this pop-top lift?
  2. Can I store an air-compressor out of the way and not have to pull it out? I was informed by SMB West that they move the spare tire from its compartment under the rear to free space up for a compressor.

Suggestions would be most welcomed, thank you.
Just saw this post! No expensive air compressor needed to work with the Aluminess Penthouse top lift...we personally use an $8.00 air compressor that fits in the glove compartment and plugs into the cigarette lighter! It lifts our Sportsmobile roof within approximately 2 minutes...no manual assist necessary!
aluminess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminess View Post
Just saw this post! No expensive air compressor needed to work with the Aluminess Penthouse top lift...we personally use an $8.00 air compressor that fits in the glove compartment and plugs into the cigarette lighter! It lifts our Sportsmobile roof within approximately 2 minutes...no manual assist necessary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
You can easily find super cheap small imported 12V compressors, the problem with these is ...well they are junk.....many have a design life of maybe an hour of use....
....doing the rough math.... (1 hour design life)/2 minutes per lift = 30 lifts for $8.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #8
Orv

Garage
Some Chevy cars that didn't have spare tires came with portable tire inflators in the trunk that were pretty decent. My 2011 Volt has one, for example. I don't know what they go for used, but it might be worth checking local junkyards. I'm told the electric air suspension compressors on older Cadillacs are quite high quality as well, but that'd require a bit more work to hook it up I suspect. I've heard of people using them in DIY on-board air systems.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #9

How about using a 12 volt track linear actuator. No need for a compressor. Here is one source. https://www.progressiveautomations.c...inear-actuator. https://www.progressiveautomations.c...inear-actuator
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #10

We have Glide-Rite air suspension on our Sprinter van. It came with their under vehicle mounted air system which eventually failed due to moisture. Last summer I redid the air system and mounted the compressor under the hood. I added a filter/dryer and large tank and even a retractable air hose. So far the system has worked great. We used a large Vivair continuous duty compressor.

Air system install starts on this page of our build and continues for a few after. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...system&page=94

I originally had the compressor under the passenger seat but the noise and vibration was too much. The compressor can come on while driving since the tank is always pressurized.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
hein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air compressor, pop top