Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #1

Garage
Aluminess box preferences - comments???

Getting ready to pull the trigger on an Aluminess swingarm and box that will be retrofitted to my Reunel rear bumper. I am looking to add a bit of extra cargo capacity and am torn between the std box nd the Galley box.

What type of box do you have and are you happy with it? Anything you would do differently? Does it work well?

FYI - I would probably be using it to hold firewood, a Honda generator, trash, a H2o jug or two - just stuff really. Really depends on the trip, what time of yr or where I'm going.

thanks for your feedback

cheers,

-derek

Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #2

I just had a "modified" galley box installed yesterday. The modification was to add the jerry can holder from the Baja box to the left side of the galley box. It works well on the Chevy/GMC vans as the tail lights are up high on either side of the rear windows and not blocked in any way by the box.

The primary purpose of my box is to carry a Honda 2000 generator, which fits quite well inside. I added a 4" piece of high density foam to the inside of the door to help hold the generator snugly and keep it from rocking back and forth when climbing or descending hills. Even with the generator in the box, there's room above the generator to put some lightweight loose items. The drop down door has a couple of small cable restraints. I wouldn't put anything too heavy on the door, but it looks like it'll be a useful surface for keeping stuff off the ground when camping or even a propane camp stove (after moving the jerry can full of gas!)

If you need more storage capacity than that, take a look at the picture of Greg McKay's box (below). I saw it yesterday while I was at SMB-TX and it's a beautiful piece of aluminum. (a lot of bauxite gave their lives for that box!)

Old 03-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
JR,

Sorry we missed you yesterday... we still want to see your rig...

Derek,

As for Aluminess Boxes, before pulling the trigger I would call and talk to them about what you need as well as what they are offering. Their offerings are evolving.

When I first talked to them I explained that I was really looking for features from two of theit standard offerings, but I wanted them in one unit. They were already working on the development of what I described. The box JR showed is designed to hold three Jerry cans AND a Honda 2000 generator. It was also built sturdy enough to hold a bike rack on top (or a rail for top storage) similar to what the Badgers did. The swing arm is supposed to have been beefed up to handle the weight as a load closed and when it is swung out loaded at a camp site. Just checking it out visually we are very happy with the quality and workmanship. We have not checked to see how the jerry cans and generator fit. This is supposed to be a standard offering in the future but does not yet show on their website.

I will see about checking the fit on Monday when I go by.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #4

Here's a pic of my modded generator box

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #5

I have the tray and it's pretty versatile but I'd rather have something else. I don't think the top opening boxes would be very good- seems like a big black hole that many things could get lost in.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I've got the baja (top opening) box. I'm mostly happy with it, but lust after something bigger or more flexible on occasion. The box will hold firewood, a bag of charcoal and my fold-up Snowpeak grill/firepit amd still have room to stow a good bit of trash. With a 35" tire on the carrier I'm not convinced I could actually fit jerry can into the fuel can carrier. I haven't tried yet.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We went by SMB Tx today and verified that the bottom section of fits a Honda 2000 generator very nicely. We will check later this week that the 3 Jerry cans will fit in the upper section. It does have a beefed up hinge system with three hinge points rather than two.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
I may have made a boo boo...I could have sworn that Paul in Austin showed me a picture of a front loading Baja box but I see on the Aluminess site that it's a top loading box. I mainly wanted a box that would hold a Honda 2000 gen. These are the measurements I found...

LxWxH

20"x14"x20"=Baja box

20"x11.4"x16.7"=Honda 2000 gen

The only problem I see would be the length...now that's either going to be a tight fit...or no fit at all. My question is...Has anyone fit a Honda generator into a top loading Baja box?

Thanks...Ric
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #9

I have the standard box. Came with my rig, but if I was buying new, I'd probably make the same choice. Will hold four jerry cans (going to set mine up with two diesel, one or two for gas (for bikes, buggy,etc.). If only using one for gas, will go with one water jerry can in its place, depending upon the situation. The storage in the bumper is perfect for tow straps, etc, so I don't have much need for additional outside storage. However, with a box you can vertically mount your Hi-Lift to it (a problem I'm grappling with now), so that's a big plus, as well as being able to add a small generator if need be (with the right box).
Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Now there's something I didn't think about....being able to vertically mount a Hi-Lift to the box...thank's for the tidbit! I just talked to Aluminess and they suggested I go with the Galley/Generator Box(front loading) for ease of loading/unloading a Honda 2000 generator as opposed to standing precariously on the bumper above the Baja Box and having to lift it upwards and then out....which makes sense....especially if you might have possibly been indulging