Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Aluminess latch release

Has anyone had to adjust/lubricate/rebuild their Aluminess bumper latch release? The little trigger release on the tire carrier side will occassionally stick and it's a pain to get it back to the ready-to-latch position. Looking for some hints or ideas before I tackle it.

thanks,
Herb

Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #2

Garage
I hate that silly little latch. It's hard to use and I never feel it will withstand the mass of the large tire or box (plus a filled 5 gal jerry can). Look at what happened to Buji on his first trip. I already devised an auxilary strap setup to hold them down tight . The swingout latches seem to have some play that will just be a nightmare on washboard roads. I looked closely and saw no clear way to simply adjust them to tightness. I want to replace them with new industrial stainless latches, but the original ones must be removed first. Stay tuned.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Team

I recently started using a hitch pin like this through the holes that line up between each half of the rear bumper swingouts. Just some cheap insurance that the swingouts don't come undone, and it's easy to put in and take back out.

Herb
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #4

Garage
Herb, that's exactty what I've been doing since I got the van. Most of the time I have a heavy duty padlock in those holes. Sometimes I use the clevis pin you show.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #5

I'm only using the one side for the tire (315) as I don't need the boxes, so can't hook the two together. My latch is getting a little play in it and some wear on the horizontal pin. I put a clevis thru the hole on the latch so it can't come open, but we need to come up with a better latch. I think I'll get a hold of Dave at Aluminess and see if he has a better idea. A 315 on the loose would not be fun. Had that happen on my Bronce once and I thot it would tear the side of the rig off.
Anyone comeing up with a good idea, please post.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #6

Aluminess Latch Release

My swing out tray had some play from the beginning. A rubber "bumper", the type which have a ss screw through the middle, was attached to the door and tightened the play but does not allow the latch to fully engage.
I was thinking along the lines of a tapered pin, which could go into the holes which line up between the two swing outs. Perhaps a tapered pin could be fabricated, and always allow a tight fit as it would naturally settle into the holes. A hole drilled through it would receive a latching push type wire keeper.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Site Team

OK, this weekend the tire side latch wouldn't catch at all and the "trigger" ended up completely inside the trigger grip portion of the swingaway.

Sent Aluminess an e-mail asking how to adjust/remove the assembly, and they called me this morning to get some more info from me, and are now sending me out a replacement latch assembly. This version is slightly different or newer than the one I currently have,with the mounting bolts going all the way through the handle, and secured with a nut on the opposite side. Being provided free of charge, even though I bought the van used. Good customer service.

Herb
Old 12-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #8

Yeah they did the same thing for me. The PO had broken the spring so you had to monkey with the latch and Aluminess just asked that I return the old one so they could investigate the failure. I had to losen the bolts and move it around twice to get it to align perfectly but it has been good since.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Did you get the version with the mounting bolts that go all the way through the trigger handle? Did you have the older version that bolted from one side only? Any issues on drilling the opposite side of the handle?

Herb
Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
...van used. Good customer service.

Herb
Yeah, I've been real impressed with Dave and Bruce at aluminess. Dave still wants me to stop by the next time I'm in san diego, he wasn't delighted with the way my spare fits on the swingarm.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote