Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Aluminess Spare Tire Carrier

I am looking at an Aluniness carrier to use with factory rear bumper, but instead of a tire carrier they would modify the carrier to bolt on one of their Honda generator boxes. They have done this before and already have the design. I started to place the order but they told me that the maximum weight in the box was 36 lbs. My generator is 10 pounds heavier than that. If the deluxe generator box weighs 39 lbs and the max load they suggest puttin in the box is 36lbs total weight that they recommend for the carrier is 75lbs. Assuming the bracket for the spare weighs 10 lbs, then a spare tire could weigh no more than 65 lbs to meet their recommended load on the carrier. I am guessing that a steel wheel and a moderate sized off road tire weighs more than that? Has anyone with this style of tire carrier had problems that can be associated with have too much weigh on them? Does anyone have experience with the Aluminess spare tire carrier?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

Re: Aluminess Spare Tire Carrier

Hi;

Dodge 17"x8" aluminum factory wheel weighs 23 lbs. E rated tire for same at least 50 lbs so with steel it would be over their limit. Then there are the lugs... 3 lbs minimum.

Tell them you promise to grease the pivots frequently!

Regards,

Gavin
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

Ordered an Aluminess carrier today, it is the tire carrier minus the tire attachment but with a extra loop to mount a box on, Kenny tells me he will ship it in three weeks. I did not order the deluxe generator box. I have researched on the Airstream forum and found that a 24 gallon action packer is the perfect size for my Honda 2000 generator I want to carry. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/st ... 248-2.html To attach the Action Packer to the carrier I will use a Swag Off Road Baja Bin. I have seen these used before on offroad buggys and they are sturdy and well built. http://www.swagoffroad.com/24-Gallon-Ru ... _p_37.html I will update you as the parts arrive and post a photo of the finished project.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

Those swag racks look very nice,for the price (or a little more) they should come with a bin it would seem. When and if we ever need a generator I might get something like that.

Despite what the video says I have found the 24 gallon Action Packers to be a bit tough to find.
It seems you can get them online sometimes but the shipping can be as much as the bins.

I needed six bins, I finally found some at Costco, but they only had five and they have never had them since. I used some other cheap bins until I could find enough for my under the bed storage rack that I designed to use those Action Packers. When I was building my storage space I bought one on Craigslist.At the time Walmart, REI and a few other places around here at least said that they could no longer get them but that was a year ago, maybe you will have better luck.

Post pictures when you have it all together...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

True Value Hardware/ Ace Hardware stores stock them here. Bought two for $34.00 each. I have several that it have used for many years. I hope they don't become hard to find.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the PM. I will mention the discount code to Kenny.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Site Team

I was just at my local Lowes, and they had the 8 gallon and the 24 gallon Action Packers in stock.

I also like those Swag racks, but what I don't like is that the full bracket remains whether the Action Pack is there or not. That means a dedicated, single use space hog.

Herb
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #8

I am glad you guys have found some of the 24 gallon size. I never thought of Lowes,True Value or Ace...we don't have any of them convenient for us....At least I have more places to try when and if I might need more.

Herb I see what you mean, maybe the ones that fold down could be modified to have the ends removed where they hinge...Or maybe some kind of quick bolts that would be under the bin so they could not be easily removed (a nice way to say stolen)
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote