Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 02:40 AM   #21

Garage
I'm not Mr mechanic by any means and I removed both hinges on my 2014 e350 in 15 mins.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnam View Post
Or a driver side RakAttach with a hitch mounted spare carrier. See
http://rakattach.com
Has anyone here on the forum got any experience with these? Been intrigued by them for a while now, the concept is great.

Wondering how much cantilevered weight they can really handle when swung open. (Could you bolt a fairly-massive cargo box/bike rack combination to one of these.) If their actual capacity is pretty stout, these are looking pretty attractive.

**On a side note --- I couldn't find pricing for these things anywhere....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsBC View Post
https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/

It's a little pricey but it should sell easily when you get a full bumper.
thanks for posting this, after checking that out i found the solo which looks to be right up my alley.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

a little cheaper then the aluminess spare tire mount as well. if i don't figure something out myself then i may just end up purchasing the solo XL
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Has anyone here on the forum got any experience with these? Been intrigued by them for a while now, the concept is great.

Wondering how much cantilevered weight they can really handle when swung open. (Could you bolt a fairly-massive cargo box/bike rack combination to one of these.) If their actual capacity is pretty stout, these are looking pretty attractive.

**On a side note --- I couldn't find pricing for these things anywhere....
i emailed the owner at the provided email address on the website to get a quote on the large one. also asked him what weight they can actually handle. ill let you know what i find out.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21 View Post
i emailed the owner at the provided email address on the website to get a quote on the large one. also asked him what weight they can actually handle. ill let you know what i find out.
Are you anywhere near the Bay Area? I have one if you want to try it out. We are on our way to AZ, otherwise I could look up some of the answers to your questions. It is a well built unit and the owner of the company was very responsive when I e-mailed him for information.

I have an Aluminess box and my spare tire on the back, thus I need a 14" hitch extension to allow everything to clear. The hitch extension reduces the allowable load in half, thus I limit the load capacity to 150 lbs for my use case, but that also accounts for the weight of the tire and box on the bumper.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #26

Garage
Such a great solution to so many rear-of-van storage challenges!

Very cool product.
Interested to hear pricing when you find out.

A rated weight of even 150 pounds sounds pretty great --- but I wonder if, realistically, one should anticipate being only able to carry perhaps 1/2 or 2/3 of that weight when traveling bumpy/rough roads (or when off-road.)
Just wondering. Even my Aluminess rear tire carrier has rattled its upper support strap loose (and its hinges) when traveling washboard roads. Cantilevered impact forces multiply fast!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #27

Specific details:

RakAttach driver's side large
Weight = 57 lbs
Capacity = 350 lbs
Cost = $399 + shipping
Cost shipped to the Bay Area in CA = $444

Come borrow it and try it out!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Specific details:

RakAttach driver's side large
Weight = 57 lbs
Capacity = 350 lbs
Cost = $399 + shipping
Cost shipped to the Bay Area in CA = $444

Come borrow it and try it out!
Thank you for that, and that you for the opportunity to try it out, but unfortunately I'm on the east coast(nj). That's good to know though, I appreciate the response! What do you use yours to carry and how does it handle the weight? And does the large clear the side of the van so the back doors could be opened? Granted you have the aluminess bumper and I do not. I have the stock bumpers
Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #29

There are four pictures in my album, it looks like I can only get to one on my phone as we sit in traffic waiting for I-10 to clear from a previous road closure...

[IMG]https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/members

Note in this configuration I had to use a 2" drop in order to provide enough clearance for the spare tire to swing out over the RakAttach.

Edit: My attempt to cut and paste the BB code on the phone didn't work, you will have to go to my build Album if you want to see them, page 3...

As far as the intended use, I have a 155 lb Honda CT 70 Mini Trail that I want to be able to carry there. Still looking at single rail carriers for this purpose.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #30

Hey wondering if anyone has experience with that Wilco hitchgate? Wondering if the offset version would allow to still open passenger side door without having to move the tire? Thanks
Fishingman is offline   Reply With Quote