Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #21

Re: Always have a spare key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Everyone should know though, that the keypad will NOT unlock your doors if the engine is running. That makes for a far worse day if you're in that situation. FWIW I loved the remote keypad that I added on my SMB.

Herb
Why is it that the keypad wont unlock your doors when the car is running? I thought that it just acted as a remote since it isn't integrated into the van. Or will all remotes not work when the van is running?
I don't know why it doesn't work, but I can verify Herb is right. I made that mistake one day. Won't make it again.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #22

I was always concerned that a clever thief knows all the hiding places for keys. I have a single key lockbox screwed to the inside of the Aluminess spare tire carrier on the rear bumper. The lockbox is an exterior model that has a very snug rubber cover to keep it dry. Of course, If I've locked myself out of The Van in the dark, I need to be able to see the lockbox to punch in the code to open it. Solved that problem by zip tying a small LED keychain light to the tire carrier wrapped in a baggie.

Obsessive, you bet! But late one night, my wife went to The Van to get something, probably another bottle of wine. I heard the tell-tale "snick" of the locks plunging home as she inadvertently hit the "L" button on the door just before she shut the door. Yep, locked out, with all the flashlights safely inside The Van.

The $2.00 LED keychain light saved the day, or night.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I was always concerned that a clever thief knows all the hiding places for keys. I have a single key lockbox screwed to the inside of the Aluminess spare tire carrier on the rear bumper. The lockbox is an exterior model that has a very snug rubber cover to keep it dry. Of course, If I've locked myself out of The Van in the dark, I need to be able to see the lockbox to punch in the code to open it. Solved that problem by zip tying a small LED keychain light to the tire carrier wrapped in a baggie.

Obsessive, you bet! But late one night, my wife went to The Van to get something, probably another bottle of wine. I heard the tell-tale "snick" of the locks plunging home as she inadvertently hit the "L" button on the door just before she shut the door. Yep, locked out, with all the flashlights safely inside The Van.

The $2.00 LED keychain light saved the day, or night.
But what if the keychain light's battery dies? Better stash an extra battery out there, too!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #24

http://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T ... B000I66JEM
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #25

Mag boxes are too bulky (can be found by smart thieves easily) and do bounce off sometimes. I use these on all of my vehicles. Slim and inconspicuous and always stays in place. I use a marker to black out the dumb "Key Hider" label. You just have to remember where you stick it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190928011230?lpid=82
Attached Images

Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #26

I also do the key-zip-tied-to-the-frame & exterior-remote-keypad-entry. I often just lock my keys in the van on purpose when I go hiking so I can't lose them.

-- Geoff
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #27

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Yesterday morning I pulled over to the side of the hwy here in Baja to meet up with the seller, and all the Realtors at the gate to our new house. I left the keys in the ignition because my wife, Jan, was staying in the SMB or so I thought. Climbing out she must have hit the electric door lock switch... we were locked out.

I knew there was no spare key because the hidden key had been lost during some pretty rough off-roading and while a new one was on my list, it just didn't get done.

One of the Realtors was late because he had gotten a flat tire in his Dodge Ram and went home to get a different car.

Well, you can't just call AAA in Baja so I started looking for "tools" to break in - Jan beat me to it and already had the radio antenna removed and was looking for something to pry the door frame back. You can use the antenna to hit the unlock button if you are lucky. While I was working on that, Jan asked if anyone in the group had a Ford key. The seller was driving a Ford Ranger and we tried his key with no luck. Just then the guy who had gotten the flat in the Dodge pulled up in a Explorer and we tried his key... first turn the door unlocked.

Flats happen for a reason!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #28

Thanks Ramsey, I guess....... Nice to know other Ford keys might open my van.

I'm glad you got out of that jamb though.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Everyone should know though, that the keypad will NOT unlock your doors if the engine is running. That makes for a far worse day if you're in that situation. FWIW I loved the remote keypad that I added on my SMB.

Herb
Why is it that the keypad wont unlock your doors when the car is running? I thought that it just acted as a remote since it isn't integrated into the van. Or will all remotes not work when the van is running?
I don't know why it doesn't work, but I can verify Herb is right. I made that mistake one day. Won't make it again.

Not sure why the keypad would not work while the van is running because I do it all the time with a remote off the keyring. When its hot and I have the dogs I do it to run into to a store or eat at a restaurant.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote