Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #1

And a new chapter begins! LA to Denver... Suggestions?

I just picked up my new-to-me 2007 SMB in LA today and I am boondocking in the Mojave Desert Preserve writing this with a belly full of Mad Greek gyro and a couple Fat Tires! Good times!!

I will be taking another 4-5 days to get back to Denver so I thought I would fish for some suggestions- where should I go from here?

Candidates:
Kelso Depot (close)
Kelso Dunes (close)
Lava Tube (close)
Bryce/Zion/Capital Reef (went 3 yrs ago but loved it)
Moab (have travel mtb bike and Poison Spider Spring Fest going on this wknd! Looking very good for the wknd!)

Any "must-see"s between Baker and Grand Junction that I'm missing?

Thanks all!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: And a new chapter begins! LA to Denver... Suggestions?

Ya goosberry mesa just outside of St George or little creek. both have great biking. stop at little creek station and have a burger for me. Its the only gas station in apple valley heading to kanab and GBM.

you could go and explore the north rim of Grand canyon?

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Congrats on the new SMB! I can direct you to a cool site between Moab and Fruita if you'd like.
BTW, all of us dirt headed bandana wearing, granola eating Fat Tire drinking Mtn. Bikers need to meet up somewhere!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Another vote for Gooseberry Mesa. One of my favorites for biking and a few premium campsites.

Quote:
I can direct you to a cool site between Moab and Fruita if you'd like.
If Saline is talking about the same spot he directed me to, it was a great place to spend the evening except for all the biting gnats. I was there in late June though, so maybe the gnats will be gone now.

Quote:
BTW, all of us dirt headed bandana wearing, granola eating Fat Tire drinking Mtn. Bikers need to meet up somewhere!
I'm up for that. Just working on building up a new Foes XCT. Should have it done by the time my ribs heal .... then I'll be unstoppable (in my own mind at least)!

Enjoy!
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Nope, no gnats until late May or June.
off topic:
How'd u bang up your ribs?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
off topic:
How'd u bang up your ribs?
PM'ed you so as not to hijack this thread and bore everyone.

Phil

Old 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions. Just got out of the Mojave Desert Preserve after boondocking last night and then checking out the Kelso Depot and climbing the tallest of the Kelso Dunes. I also met a cool couple from Portland (Mike and Valerie) in their homemade Ford Econoline home while in the sand dunes. They are on the road for a year and were 4 weeks in. They had just come from Joshua Tree and were pushing on to Red Rock Canyon today. Good people!

On the way past the Kelso Depot, what do I see but 4 SMB!! Yes 4!! it was a group of couples from The Midwest traveling together. Very cool! We compared rigs for a bit but they had a furnace issue in the group and were looking at options for a quick repair. Fresno or back to Vegas. Hope that worked out OK for you Vador!

Pics to follow and now I'm off the St George/Hurricane! Hope Gooseberry is dry. Any suggestions on specific sites near the Mesa?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

Once you get on top of the mesa, there are a few spur trails to the south with campsites people have established right next to the edge of the mesa. Easy to find if you get up there in daylight.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

If it is not dry go through the puddles on the main road they do have a gravel bottom. spent a few hours stuck in the snow and rain one night in my tacoma while trying to go around I slide in the side of the pond. thanks to my 2m radio and a professor in ceder city Morgan and Mike came out to save me and my party at 1am. Its a long story and had been raining aloot longer off the mesa then on.

2 spots i like are these.

just past the bathroom on the left is good to start with then if you go past the parking lot past the practice loop you get to a little canyon. You can camp up top or in it. This puts you at the center and access to hidden canyon the south rim and the north rim trails.

I took both the 29'r and the cusy bike last time and liked the hartail 29 better for that stuff. ya I did not do any drops but at my age I have learned.

If you know Morgan that did the trails in GB he is now finishing up some new stuff in Glendale NV that are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactic
Thanks for the suggestions. Just got out of the Mojave Desert Preserve after boondocking last night and then checking out the Kelso Depot and climbing the tallest of the Kelso Dunes. I also met a cool couple from Portland (Mike and Valerie) in their homemade Ford Econoline home while in the sand dunes. They are on the road for a year and were 4 weeks in. They had just come from Joshua Tree and were pushing on to Red Rock Canyon today. Good people!

On the way past the Kelso Depot, what do I see but 4 SMB!! Yes 4!! it was a group of couples from The Midwest traveling together. Very cool! We compared rigs for a bit but they had a furnace issue in the group and were looking at options for a quick repair. Fresno or back to Vegas. Hope that worked out OK for you Vador!

Pics to follow and now I'm off the St George/Hurricane! Hope Gooseberry is dry. Any suggestions on specific sites near the Mesa?

Thanks!

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #10

I took 6 weeks last summer to explore between Denver (home) and California, and two great stops are Capitol Reef National Park (near Zion and Bryce, but less traveled) and Escalante National Staircase. Nearby is Calf Creek campground (BLM), which is worth the trip all by itself. Safe travels.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote